How do you fill the lower unit with fluid on a 1990 9.9 Mercury shortshaft

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do you fill the lower unit with fluid on a 1990 9.9 Mercury shortshaft

Easiest thing to do is to go to ww and get the Merc. or Quicksilver LU fluid in the container, not the tube. Either it will have a pump, hose and fitting for the threads of the LU screw, or you can buy it there in a separate package.

There is a lower SS screw about the size of a dime under the bulge in the LU (the drain screw) and another up above the anti vent plate...the plate just above the prop, which is the vent screw.

Unscrew both and with the engine vertical let it drain. Leave it vertical for the fill.

Filling is to attach the connector on the fill hose to the drain hole and with the pump on the container pump fluid int the LU until it comes out the vent. Do it slowly allowing the bubbles to come out pretty much and have mostly solid fluid.

Reinstall the vent screw ensuring the gasket accompanies the screw and that it is in serviceable condition. Remove the hose adapter while plugging the drain screw with your finger to reduce the leakage that occurs with the transfer. Install the drain screw in the same manner as the vent. You will loose some fluid in the process but that's ok, just keep it to a minimum.

That's it.

Mark

nickyo

Recruit

question is in the title and what type of fluid is required?

Thanx mark. I just joined the forum on 03/09/13, and already find it very useful. Thanxs again.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanx mark. I just joined the forum on 03/09/13, and already find it very useful. Thanxs again.

Well welcome aboard. Most of the info here is authentic and helpful. If someone outright lies to you they get 15 lashes across a naked eyeball with a wet noodle and are made to promise not to do it again. Grin

Really we are well policed and the expertise/experience/knowledge/whatever goes from A to Z. One of the problems one has in answering questions is their realm of activity. I for one think of my relationship with the subject when contriving an answer. This answer may have absolutely noting to do with a situation elsewhere in the world with other equipment and other operators/mechanics. But as stated, if you chime in and are wrong, or limited in your view, or biased, you get whacked and in the end the poster wins. That's the way it should be.

Mark