Too much seafoam

Birdmess

Cadet
I have a 78 , 50 hp Mercury,one of the carbs was acting up.My dumb buddy said to run a can of seafoam in one gallon of gas.Being dumber than him I tried it,now it wont start at all.Have I ruined the whole motor?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Too much seafoam

try a compression test, if good compression, then have the carbs cleaned. the seafoam may have loosened some debris that is now clogging up the works, the compression test will tell if the motor is ok

mr 88

Commander

Who is the dumb one here ? They have instructions on each can and if you can write you can read.Having said that,tongue n cheek,the extra amount of SF will not cause the engine not to start or ruin it for that matter if you had the proper amount of oil mixed in. You have a carb problem and that is why she will not start.
I have a 78 , 50 hp Mercury,one of the carbs was acting up.My dumb buddy said to run a can of seafoam in one gallon of gas.Being dumber than him I tried it,now it wont start at all.Have I ruined the whole motor?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or you fouled your plugs from gunk that the sea foam loosened in your engine. Using the mix as your friend is called "decarbing" and the purpose is to purge the engine of harmful deposits that clog your engine and result in poor performance.

As mr 88 said, you probably dislodged some gunk in your carbs (which they apparently needed) and this gungie plugged some of your jets. So, it's time to do a carb teardown.

Don't blame the SF, blame yourself for not using it all the time which would have prevented this. Recommended ratio is on the can at 1 oz per gallon of raw fuel for injected engines or per gallon of pre mix for non injected.

Mark

kfa4303

Banned

you can always add more gas to dilute the Seafoam mix too. Although, the SF itself, shouldn't keep the motor from running per se.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Seafoam won't hurt anything. In addition to running a can in a gallon of gas I'll pull a vacuum line and stick it into the Seafoam bottle so it sucks in full strength. It will kill the engine, them I let it sit for 10 min and fire it back up. Do this on your driveway if you hate all your neighbors, the amount of smoke it will blow for a little while is hilarious.

Moody Blue

Captain

Did it run at all after adding the seafoam? If not, then you have another issue not related to the seafoam additive.

kfa4303

Banned

The Seafoam won't hurt anything. In addition to running a can in a gallon of gas I'll pull a vacuum line and stick it into the Seafoam bottle so it sucks in full strength. It will kill the engine, them I let it sit for 10 min and fire it back up. Do this on your driveway if you hate all your neighbors, the amount of smoke it will blow for a little while is hilarious.

+1. My old truck appreciates this too.

crossroads123

Seaman Apprentice

I surely hope you had oil correctly mixed in your gas seafoam mixture? If not you may have real problems.