adding remote fuel water filter to 2000 Mercury Optimax 150

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gearing up for Salmon fishing, I recently installed a 4 cycle 9.9 hp kicker motor. To hook up the fuel line I was planning on installing a fuel/water separator directly in from the boat fuel tank and both lines out, one to my 150 Mercury Optimax and the other to the kicker. The Optimax 150 already has a fuel/water separator filter cannister type mounted on the engine. Will having 2 filters cause any problem?

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: adding remote fuel water filter to 2000 Mercury Optimax 150

Not in my book.. Every boat I have I use a racor water separator....given the ethanol you have to catch the water and moisture that will happen if your fuel sits for anytime at all...the water separator will have two outs so both motors will be covered...buy a separator that has a bowl that can be drained and not just a fixed separator...it makes it very nice to open the pet **** to drain off the water without having to change the filter....just my 02....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: adding remote fuel water filter to 2000 Mercury Optimax 150

A problem I experienced in putting something between the tank and the fuel pump was in an automobile and was a thing referred to as "vapor lock". I put a standard after market fuel filter in the line. In operation on a hot summer day, as the fuel pump sucked against the filter's resistance, it created a partial vacuum which allowed the fuel to boil. Boiling fuel does not have adequate BTU's to support combustion and the engine would die.

If you'll notice, your engine fuel filter is after your fuel pump. Mine is. Says something.

Since you are going after Salmon you may be in Northern waters and wouldn't have a problem. The higher the engine has to lift the fuel, the more problematic it could be. Other than loosing your money, try it. If it doesn't work, take it out.

Down here in N. TX. or S. TX., or LA. or FL. I never ran a water separating fuel filter. Course if my boat sat at a marina for months on end then I probably would use one.

HTH,
Mark