1989 mercury mariner 135hp outboard stalling when given throttle???? Help

dtajr73

Recruit
i have a 1989 searay (mercury) 135hp outboard motor. I had trouble starting it, took to mechanic and had carbs rebuilt, ran good for about a week. yesterday took to lake, started it up, and when i went to give ith throttle to go, it just died, no hesitation, just died instantly, restarted right away, but as soon as you start to give it throttle it dies. replaced plugs, runs fine at idle. what else can i check. mechanics want so much and take so long to get it back. any help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 mercury mariner 135hp outboard stalling when given throttle???? Help

i have a 1989 searay (mercury) 135hp outboard motor. I had trouble starting it, took to mechanic and had carbs rebuilt, ran good for about a week. yesterday took to lake, started it up, and when i went to give ith throttle to go, it just died, no hesitation, just died instantly, restarted right away, but as soon as you start to give it throttle it dies. replaced plugs, runs fine at idle. what else can i check. mechanics want so much and take so long to get it back. any help and advise is greatly appreciated.

check the screen on your fuel pump, if it is clear then check your pump diaphrams for leaks or cracks.Sounds like it is starving for fuel. check all fuel line connections and fuel lines for cracks or leaks first.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 mercury mariner 135hp outboard stalling when given throttle???? Help

Always test spark at each plug wire to ensure the ignition is healthy enough to make at least a 7/16 inch BLUE arc, any less and that cyl may not fire when the throttle is opened under load in gear.