2012 15 hp Mercury Outboard 4-stroke

Diddler

Recruit
So it's time for the little things first oil change. How often do I change the oil filter?
Do I have to go to a Mercury dealer to get the oil filter? OEM No: 115010-5230

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2012 15 hp Mercury Outboard 4-stroke

I always replace the filter when changing oil and you can usually have a NAPA or similar do a cross-reference on the filter. Saves a bundle.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I always change my underware when taking a shower so everything is good and clean. The same should hold true for all oil changes, as the filter is dirty and they are alot cheaper than a new motor. Most all auto supply dealers should be able to get a oil filter for your motor as most of them have a Serria parts book in store and can get the correct filter for your motor. Only diffrence will be that it will have a diffrent brand name than Mercury on it, and will be alot less in cost. The use of the new synthedic oil might be best , but that is up to your choice as it dose cost more than a good grade standard oil of today. Just remmber that cost of a oil change is alot cheaper than a motor. Good maintance and storage of motors will make them last for a long time. JMO
Oldman570

Diddler

Recruit

I always change my underware when taking a shower so everything is good and clean. The same should hold true for all oil changes, as the filter is dirty and they are alot cheaper than a new motor. Most all auto supply dealers should be able to get a oil filter for your motor as most of them have a Serria parts book in store and can get the correct filter for your motor. Only diffrence will be that it will have a diffrent brand name than Mercury on it, and will be alot less in cost. The use of the new synthedic oil might be best , but that is up to your choice as it dose cost more than a good grade standard oil of today. Just remmber that cost of a oil change is alot cheaper than a motor. Good maintance and storage of motors will make them last for a long time. JMO
Oldman570

Little TMI...lol My husband always takes care of his boats, I'm just in charge of getting oil, fitlers, etc., This his his first 4 stoke Outboard motor. You mean not all men have three boats? Seriously, thank you for all the help, headed to NAPA!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

When doing a pretrip inspection of the boat that the motor is on, the oil leavel should be checked to see that it is where it should be.
Yes there's others that have more than 3 boats, and I am one of those. I have 5 if you count a canoe as one. Wife has shut me off unless I sell one first.
Oldman570

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I always change the filter when I change the oil. Every 50 hrs I think, chep insurance. I do use synthetic oil in my older 4-stroke but not until after the warranty period is over. I always use the recommended oil until warrany expired and then I change to synthetic. Don't want to give them any excuses if I have a problem. Never had a warranty issue though. (knock on.......)

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Very good thought about only using oil recommened by the manufacture of motors still under warranty. Not all dealers are forgiving when it comes to warrenty work and will try to double dip at times. Charging the owner and the manufacture for the same work has been done by some and are not good dealers in my opion. Not that many of them and rairly dose it happen, but it still dose.
JMO
Oldman570