Mercury 250hp EFI 1998 - Fuel pressure problems?

CptAJ

Cadet
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. How are you all doing?

I wanted to run this by you: I recently bought this outboard for a restoration project of mine. Compression is sweet and everything else seems A-Ok so I went ahead and tried to run the bad boy.

I hooked it up in my garage and started it. I got ignition after a few tries but it won't last. It dies after a while (less than a minute). After that I have to prime the fuel bulb again which leads me to suspect some trouble with the fuel pump.

I saw a little valve thingie on top of the vapor separator right before the line goes into the injection system. The manual seems to call it the "Fuel Rail Pressure Port" but I'm not entirely sure (Can't get go check right now). I've marked the estimated location in red here:

sxyWJL1.jpg

I figured that was for pressure testing and it seems to be right, according to the manual. I pushed the pin to open the valve, expecting fuel to come gushing out of it during startup and operation but nothing happened. Was this a reasonable expectation? Am I right to believe that I'm having trouble with the fuel pump?

Could it be the water separator filter that's clogged? And if so, would it be right to bypass it for a trial run to know for sure?

Thanks for any input you guys can provide. I'm not an expert here but I'm learning ;)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 250hp EFI 1998 - Fuel pressure problems?

If you just turn key to "ON" you should here the fuel pump run and load up in the VST tank, then attach a gauge and test pressures . If not in specs you could have the following:
1) filter on bottom of pump is clogged
2) regulator bad
3) pump bad