Mercury 2002 50hp 2 stroke rebuild

Duckhunter71

Cadet
Serial OT161xxx.
Blew a rod (#1) through the block. The 50 failed due to a rod bolt, don't ask how I know.....

I found a stripped powerhead from a 60hp. It had a scored #3.

I had the 60 block bored out 30 over.

I have new rod bolts for this project. I am going to go through the carbs I am going to verify the oil pump per the Merc manual.

I am going to use 2 stroke oil to lube while I build. Going to run 50:1 until oil pump verified.

Any other tips to make a success?:confused:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 2002 50hp 2 stroke rebuild

You might want to do a bypass of the oil pump and just run mixed fuel in it all the time. It is a simple job and can be switched back to oil injuction at a latter date if so desired. Just cut the oil hose from the tank to the oil pump and put a T fitting in it, then take the hose from the oil pump to the fuel pump and route it to that T fitting. this way the oil pump will just pump the oil back and reccurlate it. Then plug the fuel pump where the oil pump hose was. This way it can be changed back to oil injuction by just hooking everything back and replacing the T fitting with a stright coupler or replacing the hose from the oil tank to the oil pump. The motor might foul the plugs faster if idled for long periods, but you will be sure the motor is getting oil, and pulgs are cheaper than a rebuild. JMO
Oldman570