1995, 200hp, Mercury EFI is having intermittent starting problems

marty5030

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995, 200hp, Mercury EFI that is having intermittent starting problems. The last two times it started normally in the morning, we ran to our fishing spot, fished for 2 hours, and then it would not start. On the last trip it finally did start after about 5 hours after the original run. It took 3 tries cranking it over and on the third try it took some time to get going, but it did. We let it warm up good, then ran around the lake about 3 times getting up to full throttle several times. After trailering it, we turned it off, sat for a minute, and fired it right back up (motor was in water still) with no problem. It has been recently serviced (new plugs also) and runs very good at all speeds (no loss of power or irregularities). The battery was checked and is good and the exhaust around the prop is not sooty. We have only run 89 octane from Chevron in it and use stabil and have just started using quickleen too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1995, 200hp, Mercury EFI is having intermittent starting problems

Possibly dirty injectors not 'spraying' properly, fuel not atomizing as well as expected, making the motor more difficult to start once cooled.

Quickclean should help with continued use. However I would have to read the container again to see if there is a shock dosage vs a maintenance dosage.

Ideal cleaning is to take them out and send them in to Tony Brucado for cleaning and flow testing.

marty5030

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ChalieB. I thought they might be an issue too. I did not see a shock dosage either on the container. Also is it difficult to remove the injectors? I am only a novice at best :)

thanks again.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You definitely want a FACTORY service manual, it will detail removal and installation.

If no listing for a shock treatment then you may want to try using Sea Foam at their heavy cleaning dose, then follow with the maintenance level for a tank and see if the condition clears.

If not then seriously consider removing the injectors to send in for cleaning.

PM me with a good email, I have a manual you can read thru.

marty5030

Seaman Apprentice

PM sent