Mercury ELP-TO 60( 1995)

Belfast Bill

Cadet
Hi I have a problem with my Mercury ELP-TO 60 HP ,now I have just bought the engine and boat, the rod that comes out of the ram/piston has been disconnected, also the trim and tilt switch on the controls. I have tried the button on the engine side and the relays are clicking also there is power going towards the pump,now wait for it there is not any oil in the pump. Is there a way to test the pump or is there a cut out switch in the pump or a fuse / relay that may be burnt out. Any ideas or good advise welcome.

Thanks Bill.:grumpy:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury ELP-TO 60( 1995)

First. You hear the switches click, but do you know for a fact that power is on the down circuit of the solenoids, or even is being applied to them? Since neither up or down work it's going to be a common problem of no power, bad motor, or no oil.

Second would be to put something hard, like a socket extension against your ear and the pump motor. Hit the tilt button on the engine and listen for it to hum. If it hums you can assume it is ready to go.

Third would be to fill with PTT or ATF, depends on the color of what's left in the sump to the bottom of the fill plug threads with the engine all the way up.

A failed power input would be an overlooked answer for the PO. The fact that it is disconnected smells of a bad malfunction and he didn't want to spend the bucks to fix it.

HTH.
Mark