2001 Mariner 15hp fuel pump?

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I have the motor in a test tank and its in gear, if I try to raise the RPM it starts to die. If I sqeeze the bulb it comes good. Should i just assume its the fuel pump? Anything else these motors are renouned for? Needle seat stuck maybe.. Pumps arent cheap here in australia.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 2001 Mariner 15hp fuel pump?

Squeezing the bulb only replaces fuel pump function so it is very likely the pump

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I have the motor in a test tank and its in gear, if I try to raise the RPM it starts to die. If I sqeeze the bulb it comes good. Should i just assume its the fuel pump? Anything else these motors are renouned for? Needle seat stuck maybe.. Pumps arent cheap here in australia.

I just connected a facet electric fuel pump and got the same result. There must be blockage somewhere.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

As Laddies stated the fuel pump needs to be repaired. You should be able to buy a fuel pump repair kit for your motor at a fraction of the cost of a complete pump, and rebuild the one you have. Electric pumps will work , but the fire hazard is greatly incressed and is not recommended. If a fuel leak happends inside of the cowling, all it would take is one good spark from any of the wires or other electric componunits an you would hear a big bang and have a fire that you might not be able to put out. JMO
Oldman570

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a cold start I have to physically block the carb throat to get it to start. I spose this could be a result of the fuel bowl not being full enough.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If you pump the primer bulb till it is hard and still have to blok the carb, you need to make sure that the choke butterfly is closing as it should and that it is not broken. Priming the motor should still fill the carb even if the pump is bad. You need to check the fuel filter to be sure it is clean and that it is not restickting the fuel flow. Put a pice of clear hose from the fuel pump to the carb so you can watch the fuel, any air bubles or water dropplets to see if the is a air leak or bad gas. Just make sure to put the rubber hose back on afterward as most clear hose is not for gas usage and will cause troubles latter on. JMO
Oldman570

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_20130217_180439_zpsbf78ead8.jpg

Pump here?

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_20130217_180558_zpsc39cb04d.jpg

I can't see a butterfly, has some sort of primer button.
I am waiting on workshop manual, don't know where to start..

dave 416

Seaman

Sometimes the pump is not strong enough to pump fuel 4 feet into the air if its on a stand in a boat it doesnt have to raise the fuel that high so it may work fine in a boat

Mi duckdown

Commander

The second picture, with arrow points to the button on the enricher/ choke. that button may have to be pumped a few times to start. then turn the choke knob clockwise. once started and warm turn choke knob back c.clockwise. from the pic Idon't see any clamps or tie straps on the hose from the filter to the carb.???