Kiekhaefer mercury merc 150

Rcgui

Recruit
Hi,
I recently picked one of these up for 100$ all running. I was planning on restoring it because everything is there and in good shape. Can anyone shed some light on this engine? I can't find much info for it?

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Kiekhaefer mercury merc 150

Post a serial number of the motor if you can. That will narrow down the year, and you will bet more specific information about your motor.

The serial number should be on a nameplate mounted on the front face of the tilt tube.

mr 88

Commander

Before you invest another dime,run a compression test and report back with numbers.

Rcgui

Recruit

Thanks for the replies! Sorry I was kinda brief before.

Anyway, the serial number says it is a 1960 kiekhaefer mercury merc 150(15hp). They only made them 1960-63 for what I've found. Also I don't have numbers for compression because I just ran over my compression tester with my car(just my luck lol) , however there is definitly compression. I will get another one here shortly. From what I've found these motors were kind of a bust being that they have unusual and complex transmissions and were about as heavy as the 20hp model. Is that accurate? Also if anyone has had or restored one of these that might have tips that would be great! There is barely anything on the 15hp model