2002 mercury 3.3hp 2 stroke not pumping water

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there, yesterday I purchased this outboard engine and have now had a chance to try it, despite being assured it all worked well it doesn't have anything coming out of the tell tale pipe, there seems to be exhaust fumes coming through but no water at all. I understand the first point to check is the impeller but having no previous outboard disassembly experience I am not too sure which bolts to undo etc to check it, I also saw some posts that suggested the gear select didn't work forward/neutral after they took theirs apart, so is there some sort of guide on this to follow with step by step instructions and tips to avoid any potential pitfalls, also how concerned should I be that exhaust fumes seem to be coming through? Thank you for any advice, cheers Jon

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2002 mercury 3.3hp 2 stroke not pumping water

Jon;

See my PM to you re email address.

Gerry

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be concerned there's no water coming out of the tell tale. If you want to fix it yourself, you must get a manual for the motor - that will guide you through and educate you about the motor. It's not hard to change an impeller but before you get into any of that, there are things you can check such as the water inlet screen and the possibility of a blockage in the waterways ...very often a shot of compressed air back into the tell tale hole can be heard exiting at the water intake screen. Get a history of the motor if you can from the previous owner -- what work was done on it etc...is the thermostat working ...perhaps the thermostat isn't opening when it should or the thermostat housing is full of crud...Are you seeing steam and not exhaust fumes coming out the tell tale hole. What is your engines serial number?

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Ah I see, it is possible the exhaust fumes were just steam, it’s pretty cold in UK right now and so it could well have been steam. The engine was one that I am told hasn't done much work as it was used at a sailing club for a fishing boat engine, the sailing club is fresh water lake so it’s unlikely to be too salted up. Apparently they had around 5-6 matches per year and the boat would then just be ran out to where they were fishing and then sit there waiting to catch fish. The guy I purchased it off assures me that the engine was spitting water on Friday when he tested it but it doesn’t even do that for me. He said when it was put in gear it would come through some more but again nothing when I have tried it. I have only tried for about 30 seconds or so for fear of cooking the head gasket running it dry. I am no mechanic but I have worked on dirt bikes in the past replacing pistons, stripping out carbs and cleaning etc., the s/n is 02193010 and model number 1003201zb it is built in Belgium. To be honest I have read some alarming reviews online where the people have said for this particular motor it seems to be a big pain in the ***** trying to get the copper water feed pipe, the gear selector and the drive shaft to all realigning through some type of little rubber gromited hole. I can just imagine the frustration this is going to cause me and I am in two mind weather to do it myself or leave to the experts. I have found a local marine servicing place that offers full service new spark plug, gear oil, strip and clean carbs, new impeller, full grease up for around ?60, circa $90 so I am sort of leaning toward this at the moment as it will save my profanities at the engine. As yet I am still undecided but I am definitely leaning towards letting someone else who is more experienced take care of it. Unless of course this is an easy fix then I would just look to get it done myself and take the plunge. The only thing is I am not able to find any detailed instructions just yet with a walk through on this.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it at all possible to return the motor to the vendor? If you are having serious doubts, it's probably best to give it to the "experts". For $90, does the expert guarantee a good water stream? There are schematics for 3.3 HP on "**********" and you can get an idea of how well your skills will be challenged.

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Not really, it was a deal done with a private seller which included part ex for an evinrude junior. It's not so much that I do not think I can do it, it just maybe seems easier to hand it over and know that fuel filter, water pump, gear oil, and all parts including carb strip has been done correctly and greased up, he cannot guarantee the $90 and if head needs stripping it's more same if internal cavities could be more.

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, just a quick note to thank you both very much for your help with this, I wrote up a bit of a report on how it got sorted on the bottom of the "mercury 2002 3.3 no tell tale" topic, so all sorted now and you guys were right, it was such a simple thing to do the impeller.