1976 Mercury 200/ 20 horsepower.... coughs- belches-

eagletail

Recruit
Ive got a (4351995) 1976 merc outboard 200/ 20 horse ....it has good compression 100 psi... both cyl... the motor has sat for 2 yrs... i ran fresh premium gas with the 50:1 mix as well as a Can of Sea foam... in 6gallon tank....almost noticeable improvement... any way now i cant idle at low speeds motor will stall....higher speeds are fine.... also i know noticed if i don't run the motor on premium gas it really runs crappy.... Help...

.... 1. should i try the air adjustment screws..
2. probly would be a good idea t get the carb rebuilt ??
3. Also i heard a rumor i need to have a vented gas tank at present mine isnt vented....

thanks for reading any other pointers are greatly appreciated...

M

Maxz695

Re: 1976 Mercury 200/ 20 horsepower.... coughs- belches-

A vent on the tank allows air to circulate into the tank as fuel is being pulled from it. If there is no vent the vaccum builds up to a point where it can no longer take fuel as there is no air flow. Crapy idol can be caused by flooding due to needle seats leaking. Prime the bulb and check the carb throats to make sure no fuel is in the throats. A stuck float can also be the cause. I recommend after trying a vented tank with the same results in a full cleaning of the carbs and adjusting them correctly. Check lines for cracks air leaks etc Fuel pump diaphram may also be weak but lets start first with the tank. Get a proper tank.

eagletail

Recruit
Re: 1976 Mercury 200/ 20 horsepower.... coughs- belches-

A vent on the tank allows air to circulate into the tank as fuel is being pulled from it. If there is no vent the vaccum builds up to a point where it can no longer take fuel as there is no air flow. Crapy idol can be caused by flooding due to needle seats leaking. Prime the bulb and check the carb throats to make sure no fuel is in the throats. A stuck float can also be the cause. I recommend after trying a vented tank with the same results in a full cleaning of the carbs and adjusting them correctly. Check lines for cracks air leaks etc Fuel pump diaphram may also be weak but lets start first with the tank. Get a proper tank.

Ok thanks for the info.... and reply...... Craislisting for a tank now....