1997 Mercury 6hp CDi box question???

tjr_84

Cadet
I have a 1997 mercury 6hp outboard that had no spark so i tested it and found out it was the CDI box. I replaced the CDI box and it fired up first pull. I ran the motor for a bit and shut it off. I filled a tank to do a water test and tried to start the motor again and NOTHING!!!! I tesed the CDI box and it was fried again!!! What is causing my motor to fry the box? Any clues? CDi boxes are not cheap. Any help would be great.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Mercury 6hp CDi box question???

I have a 1997 mercury 6hp outboard that had no spark so i tested it and found out it was the CDI box. I replaced the CDI box and it fired up first pull. I ran the motor for a bit and shut it off. I filled a tank to do a water test and tried to start the motor again and NOTHING!!!! I tesed the CDI box and it was fried again!!! What is causing my motor to fry the box? Any clues? CDi boxes are not cheap. Any help would be great.

My first suspicion would be either your key switch or the wiring from it is shorting from switch to box when you turn switch to off position. Someone who knows that system better than I will probably chime in and set us straight. That engine is newer than I am familiar with. So take a test light and see if there is still power to CDI with switch off.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 Mercury 6hp CDi box question???

Disconnect the lanyard switch and stop button switch(if equipped )from the module.This should be a black wire/yellow stripe.See if you get a spark.The biggest cause of module failure are poor grounds.