HELP PLEASE! 2000 50 hp mercury ignition troubelshooting

P3FE

Seaman
Does anyone know where I can get the troubleshooting procedures for a 50 HP mercury igniton system? It is installed on a basstracker boat and there is no spark at the plugs. I troubelshot the ignition switch and it appears purple is the hot for the ignition in the "run" position. I am suspecting trouble with the voltage regulator maybe...? Can someone help me with troubleshooting the wiring for it? My son bought this boat yesterday, it ran fine and I noticed evidence of a overheated yellow wire at the regulator, and the regulator appears new. I removed the bad wire and spliced it, and it reads coninuity fine. Guess I should have left it alone! Where does the yellow wire go from the volt regulator- I'd like to verify voltage. Thanks brothers!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: HELP PLEASE! 2000 50 hp mercury ignition troubelshooting

Would help to know the s/n as it could be a two or four stroke.

Gerry

P3FE

Seaman

sorry- it is a 2 stroke engine...I forgot we are dealing with 4 strokes alot now!

P3FE

Seaman

sorry- it is a 2 stroke engine...I forgot we are dealing with 4 strokes alot now!

trr 572 is part number- it has 5 wires

Laddies

Banned

There are 2 yellow wires from the stator under the flywheel to the voltage reg. there is no voltage on them if the engines not running if the reg. is good

scan-1.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

That is not a s/n of the engine. It should look like this:

0G961500 thru 0T780999 if it is a 2000.

I have the manual and can send you a copy if you PM me with the s/n and an email address.

Gerry

P3FE

Seaman

Got it fixed....thanks for the help. I am almost embarassed to say- my spark tester was inop...and I had to verify spark with a set of jumper cables for the ground, once that was done, it turned out to be fuel related...fixed it and she runs now.