Charging battery 1968 Mercury 35hp twin Motor

Hi, I'm unsure whether my motor will recharge my boat battery. When the motor is running does it recharge the battery like a car would? Ive seen some threads where people talk about the battery recharge system but is my 1968 35 hp equipped to recharge or do I need to buy a charger unit and recharge after usage?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Charging battery 1968 Mercury 35hp twin Motor

Your 35 does not have a alternator and there was never a charging kit made for them

Thank You Laddies, I guess only alternative is to buy one of those charger units and keep er charged. Is there any special charger for deep cycle marine batteries?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Most any charger with a 10 amp or less charge rating should work. There is a small battery maintainer/charger that can be mounted in the boat and pluged in that will charge the battery and keep it that way till you use thew boat again. Reglur automive batterys and deepcycle batterys are buit diffrent as the automive battery is made to deliver higher amps for a short period of time, and deep cycle batterys deliver lower amps for alot longer time. This is why the deep cycle needs to be charged at a lower amp and longer time as the auto can be fast charged at 20 or more amps and why the alltinators today put out 65 amps or more to fast charge a car battery. JMO
Oldman570

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you're looking to just keep a good battery topped off, try one of the solar units. If you're just using the batt to start the motor and occasionally run the lights, bilge pump or a small radio, then it should keep up nicely. It probably wouldn't do the job if you're running lots of electronics and such...