tell tale blockage 3.3 mercury 2002

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have no water coming out of the tell tale on my 3.3 mercury 2002. the guy I bought it off said it never poored out just dripped out, but i'm not even getting that. I took the lower unit off and replaced the impeller. (i hope i did it properly) I know i didnt connect the lower unit properly coz now its stuck in gear, but thats in another thread.I took the tell tale hose off thats clear and i stuck some wire in the knob where the hose connects into the head and gave it a wriggle. but its getting late and cant test it now. if that didnt work whats the next step, taking the head off??? is it hard?im not an idiot (well sometimes) but im not a mechanic either. oh yeah, if i blow into the tell tale hose, should i be able to blow air aor should it feel blocked??

thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: tell tale blockage 3.3 mercury 2002

If the old impeller had any of the fingers missing there is a chance that part of them could be blocking the tell tail fitting on the inside of the motor where the block fittings is. You should be able to blow air back thru the hose/fitting and see if the water starts to flow. If it dose then it would be adviseable to get any and all the impeller parts and any blockages removed from the motor. Any forgin particals in the warer jacket of the motor could cause a overheat and damage to the motor. Test or replacement of the thermostat and poppit valve should also be done. A factory manual for the motor will be of need to work and understand the workings of the motor. It is a cheap investment when working on motors, and will save $$$ in the long run.JMO
Oldman570

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,

thanks for the reply oldman570. I ran it in a bin today. It managed to start to drip water out the water tube. not at a very fast rate though. after about 10 mins it was a bit better. but the bin water started to get pretty warm and the water coming out the tube was quite hot also. inspection of the old impeller showed it was still intact but was about to fall apart.one of the blades was the wrong way around and some were begining to crack but it was all still intact, and my replacement didnt make things any better. im guessing the next step would be to take the head off but my question/theory is: because the water in the bin got hot the cooling isn't too good, but in ocean water where the temp won't rise say above 22c degrees, even with only dripping water port at best, that should still keep the motor cool enough shouldnt it? as there is no real way the water temp can rise any further, as it is sucking in fresh cooler water as it goes along. or shoud I still take the head off to get a better flow out of the port?

thanks

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

I tried to take the head off but failed hard. I also took the lower unit off again. and started blowing in the tell tale pipe. I got a little bit more flow than before but not too much. After the nightmare of putting the lower unit back on. I gave it another try and it seems to be a fraction better. there is definatley some sort of blockage in the head area but i cant get to it. Just going to run it as it is and see how I go. thats all i can do short of taking it to mechanics and getting charged $100 p/h. Its dripping alot faster than before, would probably fill a cup in about 2 mins there abouts.??? hopefully thats enough

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Being that it is a salt water motor, my best guess is that there is salt biuldup and corresion that is blocking the passages in the motor. If that build up is not removed and you keep running the motor , it will overheat and can do serious damage. There is a product called Salt Away that can help remove some of the buildup. There are several others like vinager and the such that others on here have used also. The best way to keep the salt at bay is to flush the motor on muffs and fresh water when done boating and the boat is on the trailor. You can search on here or repost for ways to try to remove the salt. I have seen others on here awhile back discussing just this trouble. The bolts on the motor will be VERY hard to take off as the corresion eats at them and there is a good chance of brakeing them off. Best of Luck with it as most all the motors I have worked on are ones that have been run in fresh water only. I would try the flushing before taking any bolts loose first, to see if that gets the water flow as it should be. JMO
Oldman570

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Oldman570,

thanks for the salt removal tips. I have read about vinegar being used. I think I'll try that maybe even that salt away stuff. I also agree that its a salt build up as the tell tale has gone from no water at all to a drop then more and now constant drips. the guy I got it off said thats how its always been. don't know if im being BS'd to or not but as you said i don't want to damage it by overheating. As for the bolts i got the 6 main bolts off (the ones around the gasket) but i didnt know where to from there? coz on my other motor after those bots are removed you can just pull the head off. I dont know if there are more to undo or what, but i figured I'd better not mess with it too much coz i dont know what i'm doing ha ha I'll look up how much vinegar to use and go from there. will let you know how I go. wish me luck :)

M

Maxz695

If you removed all of the bolts the only thing holding it (The head) on is the locating pins that are sometimes quite stuborn. You would have to carefully and gently tap at the head in an area that won,t cause damage, to free the head from the locating pins that hold the head in position when tightening it down. Back flushing may help remove some of the seemingly salted up ports. It,s better to have the LU off and you can use the water tube to send water into the engien then backflush say through the T stat area with an adapted rubber hose attachment. Do this as much as nessecary add the vinigar let it set and do the work then flush away repeat. The only other option is taking off covers and cleaning it but like stated can bust bolts making it a nightmare. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE UNTIL IT IS ClEARED OUT. Or you can say bye bye to your engine. JMO

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Maxz695,

thanks for your post. Ive given up with taking the head off. And after taking the LU twice and having extreme trouble getting it back in, im done with that too. I actually just bought a 09 model.I havent used it yet, but the guy said it hasnt even done 20 hrs yet, so if all goes well with the test, i'll keep that one and sell the other one. but i will still do a vinegar flush to try and get more water out of the tell tale before I off load it. but i'm not going through that nightmare with the LU again. its funny, it takes 15 mins to try and get it in and then all of a sudden I find the sweet spot and can't miss, but the stress of finding it does my head in. its been pissing down rain so I havent been able to flush it yet but will let you all know how it goes.
thanks

M

Maxz695

Nice to here you have found another motor but to avoid the salt problem you must flush it really well after boating so the salt gets washed away or your gonna have the same problems.

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

Well I just hope I don't have the same problem already ha ha, will find out tomoro if its not raining. also going to flush it vinegar as someone is interested in the motor. will let yas know

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

It generally isn't that hard to install a water temperature gauge somewhere in the engine. The sensor for the alarm is probably a 1/8" npt thread -- the same as a cheapie (chineese) water temperature gauge, and the sensor is generally located in a very good place to sense engine coolant temp, for obvious reason.

I have such a gauge permantly installed on my merc 25hp four stroke and was surprise to see that it runs pretty cool -- 59C.

I wouldn't take your boat out w/o knowing whether it's cooling properly, nor would I undertake major surgery w/o a meanful check of coolant temperture during operating conditions.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

And after taking the LU twice and having extreme trouble getting it back in, im done with that too.
LOL! It's a right of passage to outboard ownership. That you did it while it was pissing down rain makes you the equivilent of a golden shellback in outboard circles!

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

LOL! It's a right of passage to outboard ownership. That you did it while it was pissing down rain makes you the equivilent of a golden shellback in outboard circles!

man I dont know what a golden shellback is? something to do with sailors crossing the equator, is what it says online?? lol but anyways I didn't do it in the rain, i'm not that keen and impatiant, well sometimes i am but not this time. So i did the vinegar flush, and it has started "pissing" better. I have made a video link to youtube so please take a look and let me know. also I'm starting to think that because I only use a 27 litre bin for this test/flush, that the exhaust bubbles are whats cause it the not get a good sucking of water?i'm not quite sure but as you'll see when I rev it slightly (not even 1/4 of throttle) the water does start to stream out better and in the ocean it should stream properly, or at least enough i'm thinking, but I'm sure you'll let me know, its sure in a better state than it was when I started with it

here is the link tell tale - YouTube tell me what you think

thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Watching the vid it seem as tho it is ready for a in the water test. You might find that it has a better flow than in the barrel as the motor will set lower and get more water pressure and the water flow on the pickup will be greater. If all goes well then, you shold be set. Just remenber that motors used in salt water should be fresh water flushed ASAP after the use.
Oldman570

M

Maxz695

Suggestion Add a ton of vinigar to the barrel and let it run a while this should help clear it out more. Or you could take a funnel and a peice of hose and with the motor running hold the hose to the intake and let it suck up the vinigar. Shut it down and let the acid eat the salt away for a while and retest it. Repeat until a full flow is aquired.. Just a thought

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

Watching the vid it seem as tho it is ready for a in the water test. You might find that it has a better flow than in the barrel as the motor will set lower and get more water pressure and the water flow on the pickup will be greater. If all goes well then, you shold be set. Just remenber that motors used in salt water should be fresh water flushed ASAP after the use.
Oldman570

thanks guys,

I was hoping someone would say this as, not that I know anything but I suspect maybe the same, it will be better in real water not a bucket coz of the above reasons. I used 6 litres of vinegar to 21 littres of ater or there abouts, but it started flowing straight away before the vinegar could do it stuff, (unless it works that quick) but either way, i might do it again, probably alot more vinegar this time to really get in there as max says and then take it on the water and see how i go. my back is too sore to carry the boat atm (too much surfing) so another vinegar flush is more likely my option today.
thanks again guys, will update when I do something

M

Maxz695

I totally understand the back thing as I have had an L4 L5 herniated disc scince 2001 with bone detererioration desease. It kills me just to take the boat out but hey I gotta live while I can. Good luck with the trip and as long as it,s pissing fair it might be good enough just go easy and flush regularly. When you get time do the re cleaning with the vinigar. Keep your eye on the TT and best of luck and wishes scincerely Maxz695

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

I totally understand the back thing as I have had an L4 L5 herniated disc scince 2001 with bone detererioration desease. It kills me just to take the boat out but hey I gotta live while I can. Good luck with the trip and as long as it,s pissing fair it might be good enough just go easy and flush regularly. When you get time do the re cleaning with the vinigar. Keep your eye on the TT and best of luck and wishes scincerely Maxz695

I feel ya Max, and ya right, gotta make the most of it while you can! i have buldging discs, i think 2 maybe 3 in my lower back. its been stuffed for about 10 years and im 33, great future ahead of me ha ha but anyways the reason y i'm posting is I came up with a pretty crazy way of getting raw vinegar into it and that is, get ready for it....... I took a mouthfull of vinegar and blew it back in the tell tale myself. it ends up coming out the prop exhaust and onto my floor lol i did it twice just to make sure i did a good job of it. i'm going to get some lunch and watch the surf for and hour or so now and then i'm going to give it a fresh water flush. it might not do anything but i'm trying and im sure your all laughing too :) lets see how it goes lol

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

ok gave it another run and this is the result after blowing vinegar in tell tale from my mouth and letting it sit for 1.5 hrs or so

here is the link
tell tale flow - YouTube you can see the improvement for sure, i'm not even revving it and it flows like the last video, but when i did it ran out of petrol lol

M

Maxz695

Well i,m not laughing out loud but I got a big grin on y face. It,s looking much better. I would give it a test run. Flush it well when you return and blow some more vinigar in there. It will eat away more layers of salt every time.