1983 Mercury 150 blackmax deal????

proanglerwannabe

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I need some fast advice. I have what I think is a great oportunity. Older gentleman has a 1983 Merc 150HP Black Max 20" shaft. Story is his employee bought it new in 1983 to put on a boat and then found the transom to be bad. saved it on boat ran it a few times in driveway on muffs. sat in garage for 15 years. The boss, older gentleman, bought the boat motor and trailer. Scrapped the boat, used the trailer. Stored the motor for the rest of the time. So its very low hours. I have to go pick it up. 1500 is the asking price non negotiable. Please advise. all opinions are welcome, and begged for. I am asking because, well its alot of money and I have to go get it which is on my way anyway about 800 miles away.
Ya'll let me know what you think please.

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1983 Mercury 150 blackmax deal????

Here in Australia I have seen a "brown mercury inline 6 115hp 86 model" recently sell for $1575. A blackmax here in that condition is worth between $2500-$3500. If it has those hours like they claim that would be bargain here! Compression test would be wise.

M

Maxz695

Check wiring for descintigration. Check to see it has spark and check compression as sourbsted posted, Check shifting to insure the LU is at least in running condition and if all that checks out with the low low hours described. It is a good deal

Dukedog

Captain

Like said. CHECK EVERYTHING! Its still an OLD motor. Things happen ta stuff when not used no mater what they say. Could turn inta a "nightmare" as easy as being "perfect". Make sure he has tha trim working. Its gonna be a seperate "pump in tha boat" single ram type. GL and hope it turns out for ya................

JAN, It really needs ta able for you to at least run it on a hose............

proanglerwannabe

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all. I agree 100% with all of you. I will be keeping all this in mind when looking at it.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'd be looking at close to twice that much for that motor here where I live.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check compression and look over all exposed wiring to see if brittle and cracked. Wouldn't hurt to drain out a bit of gearbox fluid ...shouldn't be white or creamy. Check all linkages for ease of motion -does it shift ok and does the throttle move ok. I'd pull a couple of spark plugs and look in the cylinders for and heavy crud or signs of corrosion. If you can pull all spark plugs and ground them out slowly try to turn over the motor manually ... is there any binding ? All in all - sounds like a deal. You will no doubt have some work to do after you get it ..but that's what fun is all about ! Good Luck ...keep us posted!