Need help wiring starter solenoid on 87 Mercury outboard

buff4

Recruit
I'm attempting to get a boat going. I am replacing the solenoid. there are two big wires: a red and a black. 3 smaller black wires, 1 small yellow, 1 small red. I believe the two large wires go on the large posts (batt power and the cable to the starter) but I don't have a clue how to arrange the smaller black wires on the other posts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

M

Maxz695

Re: Need help wiring starter solenoid on 87 Mercury outboard

Pictures of the solenoid would help but I,ll try Explaining the two big posts go to oposite big terminals The yellow and (I THINK ) Black strpied wire or red striped? goes to the smaller terminal and the Black ground goes to the other. You say 87 year what HP and SN and what type solenoid there are more than one

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Large black wire to one large post, large red cable and one small red wire to other large post, 3 small black wires to one small post usally marked -, small yellow wire to small post marked+ is the way most are wired. Large red cable is + from battery, large black cable is + to the starter when engaged, 3 small black wires are ground for the selinoid, switchbox, and recitifier usually. small red wire is + battery to recitifer and ingnition switch. Small yellow is + from the ingnition switch to energise selinoid to start the engine. This is standard for most motors for 1987. JMO
Oldman570

M

Maxz695

Lost my pics thanks Oldman

soulriderleo

Cadet

Did you figure it out? Do you have any pics of the wiring?