Flywheel/pull cord will not budge on 1983 7.5 hp Mercury outboard

devildog3024

Recruit
I have a 1983 7.5 hp Mercury outboard that has not been run in several years. The lower unit was not attached due to attempted/aborted repairs to the water pump. Today, the flywheel/pull rope will not budge. I made sure that everything is in neutral when trying to pull start it. I put it in gear without spark plugs in place and tried to turn the prop with no movement on the flywheel. I removed the lower unit and tried to pull with no success. It is stuck/frozen. I pulled the exhaust housing and the visible portion of the pistons look clean. The piston faces look fairly clean. Is there a safety lock that may be engaged and overlooked. Is it possible that the crank case/driveshaft is corroded to this point, if so should I sell it for parts or soak it some how in a solvent? The motor was kept in my shed out of the weather during this time and the motor looks nearly pristine otherwise. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

M

Maxz695

Re: Flywheel/pull cord will not budge on 1983 7.5 hp Mercury outboard

Get some PB Blaster from advanced auto, pep boys, or auto zone and lube the cylinders. Let it soak a few days checking for movement here and there. If it moves some then do a back and forth movement but don,t rush it let the lube do the work. If in a few days if no results, I would take off the pull starter assembly as there may be an issue with it. Keep soaking it. You say you where trying to do a water pump repair, but this makes me think maybe you over heated and expanded the pistons broke a rod or something to that affect.

wilby21

Recruit

I also have the same problem with a new 9.9 electric start will not budge it, pull rope will not budge, This all came about last year when I put it in the water/
it is 3 years old, and the dealer will not work any more on this, says i have no warrenty, anit that something.? He was the same that charge three hundred dollars for winterizeing.
I also bought this unit from him,
he winterize this unit also. I have not had it running from the get go
should i do the same.?with the PB blaster.?

devildog3024

Recruit

I also have the same problem with a new 9.9 electric start will not budge it, pull rope will not budge, This all came about last year when I put it in the water/
it is 3 years old, and the dealer will not work any more on this, says i have no warrenty, anit that something.? He was the same that charge three hundred dollars for winterizeing.
I also bought this unit from him,
he winterize this unit also. I have not had it running from the get go
should i do the same.?with the PB blaster.?

I followed the advice with a PB Blaster soak for about a full week with no apparent luck. However, I then tried to manipulate the visible portion of the flywheel with a screwdriver by wedging the screwdriver and levering the flywheel into moving just a bit. Lo and behold, the pull cord worked and the motor turned just fine. The motor works great. A lot of smoke to burn off the PB Blaster. I am sure that the soak as well as the forced movement of the flywheel made all the difference. I did not have to take the motor head apart to move the flywheel. Try to manipulate the flywheel first before soaking the beast. Also make sure the motor is in neutral too.