2001 mercury 150 xr6 help

doubled36420

Recruit
I was out on the lake the other day, unloaded fine, when i started back to the docks, it had a little problem starting but it did start up and ran fine all the way to the dock. I switched off, backed the trailer in the water, and the boat wouldnt start. It turns over fine, just doesnt start. I dont seem to be getting fire to any of the plugs... SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2001 mercury 150 xr6 help

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Pull the spark plugs, 'n LOOK to See if they're firin'....

doubled36420

Recruit

yea. i did that. there doesnt seem to be any fire coming from the coils...i put the plugs to the head and had someone turn it over,,no fire,, i put the plugs back in and then put a long screwdrive inside the coil plug and touched the other end close to the head of the plug,, still no fire..so from that im assuming i have no fire to the coils..

Dukedog

Captain

Kill switch didn't "accidently" get pulled did it?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Or the ignition switch died.

At the black switchboxes on the motor, unplug the black wire with the thin yellowo trace line then retest for spark, if spark now then check the ign switch and wire harness for a ground on this wire.

If no spark get the CDI Ignition Troubleshooting Guide and start reading how to test it to determine the problem part.

Always remember, there is NO RETURN on electrical parts, test, test, and test again to PROVE the fault before ever thinking about replacing anything.