Heeeeelp!! 1968 35hp Mercury

Hello, I changed the water pump on my 1968 35hp Mercury. Put it all back together but now I only have forward, no neutral or reverse. When I lowered the gearcase, there are 2 cams that operate the shift mechanism. They fell out on the ground andf I don't know how to position them. Also, if I turn the shift shaft in the lower unit with my fingers it turns CW then stops and CCW then stops. I don't know how that should be positioned. Ive tried countless combinations but nothing is working. Any totally tuned motor mechanic out there that can help???? I have a CLYMER'S Manuel but it only says "make sure your shifter is in FARWARD AND YOUR LOWER UNIT IS ALSO ??

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Heeeeelp!! 1968 35hp Mercury

If you have the Clymer manual, it should show you a picture of the two cams together mounted on the LU shift shaft. With the LU in Fwd gear, the tangs of the uppermost cam must line up with the left hand stud (viewed looking down on the gearcase). You will know when the LU is in gear as follows:

Forward: Prop will turn CW but not CCW
Neutral: Prop will rotate freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction

Then with the LU and the boat in Fwd gear, install the LU and when you feel the driveshaft start to engage, you may have to turn the flywheel a bit to get the splines to line up.

Here is a link to the conensed version of the Clymer manual and you will see the dual cam setup on page 101. You can download it to your computer if you want but do it right away as the link is short lived.

Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

Parts list for model 1350108 (1968 35hp)

Mercury Parts, MERC 350

May seem confusing at first but don't be afraid to ask.

Gerry

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, you need to turn the shift rod when it has resistance. Spinning freely is when the cam inside the gearfoot is NOT contacting the shift plunger. You should feel the detents on the cam once you turn it hard enough to push the plunger inwards, then you'll note where neutral and reverse are.

Thank You for the responses. My Clymer's Manuel must be an addition for rookies, it did not have those pictures you sent. The picture makes the 2 cams position easy. However, after many times trying to put the lu on, something fell out. It is a nylon bushing?, looks like it fell off of the lower end of the shift shaft in the drive shaft housing. I think it fits somewhere between the lu shift shaft and the lower end of the shift shaft that sticks out of the drive shaft housing. I actually put the lu back together and everything worked fine, F/N/R, but I noticed that nylon piece on the ground. Now I'm trying to put it back where I think it goes and seems to be freezing up the shift mechanism. The piece is nylon about 0ne inch long and flared at one end. I do remember seeing it on the shift shaft somehow(I think the 2 lock cams then a washer on top, then that nylon thing) . I don't know which end should be up, the flared end? or other. I tried both ways and when I bolt the lu back on, the lu goes on very tight and I can't use my remote shifter, it freezes. Somehow, I'm not putting that piece in correctly. The piece is not pictured in the exploded diagram of the lu. It should be on the exploded diagram of the drive shaft housing but I don't have that.

Just as an addition, this white nylon/plastic item that fell off does fit over the shift shaft somehow. I was looking at it tonight and it has marks on the inside which match the splines on the shift shaft. All I can think is that it helps hold the lower shift shaft to the upper shift shaft. Why it does not fit, I don't know.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to a different engine but I use it as it shows a clearer picture of the plastic guide (item 33) you are referring to.

Mercury & Mercruiser Parts, SWIVEL BRACKET AND REVERSE LOCK, 45/50 H.P.

Note the position of the guide with the tangs facing upward. This is how it fits up into the matching slot in the base of the driveshaft housing. There are two holes in it, one for the reverse locking rod and one for the shift shaft.

Insert this guide into the base of the driveshaft housing and with the two rods coming through it, this aligns them to match the cams and the LU shift rod when you attach the LU to the d/s housing.

Gerry

Gerry, Thank You for the exploded diagram of the swivel bracket/reverse lock. I needed that info to visualize the problem. I had the plastic guide in the right spot but I didn't push it in far enough. I used two thumbs to pressure it up a bit and it snaped into place. I'm back in business again with the motor running right. Regards, Dave J...

carholme

Rear Admiral

Good for you Dave, glad you got it going, have fun!

Gerry