After market remote steering kits for kicker motor

briandig

Recruit
Hi folks
I want to install a remote steering unit for my 8.8 Mercury kicker, and would like to use this forum to get an opinion of these devices, is the cost to benefit ratio worth it etc? There are numerous ones on the market, the one that appears to be the most appealing to me right now is this one:

Pow'rTran : Products : PS205SS

It uses a small electric motor to activate an arm which is attached to the front of the kicker. A 14' cord is attached to the motor to a remote control unit with a left and right control switch. The concept looks simple, but is it really?

I have a 22' Larson cuddy cabin running a 5.0 L Merc I/O. The primary goal of this addition is so that I can sit at the helm and steer the boat while I am trolling for salmon in Puget Sound, as opposed to on the swimstep with the tiller between my legs or the extendo handle that reaches into the cockpit but you have to move the extended tiller handle 3 feet to get the kicker to affect any direction change

Thanks

Brian

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: After market remote steering kits for kicker motor

After reeding the info on that system, I see no reason it would not work as long as you are trolling. It would be easy to switch to another boat if need be down the road. I would not want it if the motor were to be run any faster than trolling speed ,as the react time might get you into trouble. JMO
Oldman570

briandig

Recruit

Thanks for the response
I couldn't agree with you more, this wouldn't be something that I would trust to react quick enough, or accurately enough, at speeds higher than 5mph. It is soley to be used while fishing at speeds less than 4mph, or just lolligagging around the pretty waterfront homes
My question is more aimed at if you or someone you know has had any experience with items like this, if I will be getting a decent bang for the buck. I would not consider it if it was prone to malfunction.
Or maybe there is an alternative that I am unaware of? I see many fellow boaters have a rod that connects from the outdrive to the kicker, steering is enabled via the helm wheel. This option has two drawbacks: 1) I have to be at the helm to steer, and 2) doesn't this exert unnecessary wear/strain on power steering compnents if the main engine isn't running?
Thanks again
Brian

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You thinkin is correct about the rod system not being the best choice for a IO power steering setup. As for the reliablty of the unit , I would think it would be as good as a tilt and trim is as it uses stainless parts and is electric motor about the same as tilt & trim and can be removed for work to be done or replaced. The only drawback I see is that it states that only has 16 " of wire on the unit. I would think that you could lenghten the wire out as needed or buy the remote controler they have for it. Means more $$$ and I would go for the longer wire myself as I don't trust wireless remotes. JMO
Oldman570