mercury 115 two stroke forward/reverse question

davidstill1

Cadet
I recently added water pressure and water temp gauge.When i started motor (water hose attached)I noticed water pressure gauge reading zero,water was still coming out of motor but i shut it down and ordered a new impeller just in case.Once i got impeller i removed the lower unit and replaced the impeller.I had some trouble getting lower unit back on but everything did line up eventually and with my wife moving controls in forward and reverse i got it back on and bolted back up.Now even if i move controls all the way forward or all the way back even when i push the button for throttle only it stays in forward.My question is how or what did i do wrong and how can i fix it.Thanks for any help.

B-Dozer

Seaman
Re: mercury 115 two stroke forward/reverse question

I was told you never touch the shift control with lower unit off. Now it will take some time and alot of on and off with lower unit until its on in the right position. This is just what I have been told. never had the same problem.

merc850

Commander

Try this method: Turn the LU shift shaft by hand counter-clockwise until it
stops, then with Vise Grips tight on the bottom of the shaft turn it a
few more degrees CCW until it clicks into a stop, this
should be neutral - check by turning propshaft --
do not shift into reverse unless you turn the propshaft at the same time.
If it is in N go ahead and attach LU to driveshaft housing with control in N.

davidstill1

Cadet

well thanks merc850 and B-dozer i followed your advice and got it back on and working correctly.Just to let you know in case anybody runs into this again first, like you said dont move controls but following the steps merc850 said did solve the problem. Also,while i was getting lower unit back on and lining everything up the shift shaft got turned on me.I used a 9mm box wrench and got it positioned correctly back to neutral everything slid in nice and pretty and is once again working great.Thanks once again for the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

David, The water pressure on that motor is very low at idle. Depending on your gauge, you may not see a reading at idle. Also the temp gauge will not register at idle, and may not register at cruise, as motor may have no thermostat, depending on the year.

davidstill1

Cadet

thanks chris for the info i did notice even with new impeller i still didnt get a reading.I have a new faria gauge 0-30 it does show around 5 when i push the throttle forward a little but i have not tested her under load yet.The motor does not have a thermostat its an 84 in line 6 I knew the readings would be erratic just added it for peace of mind.Should i find a gauge that reads lower or is the 0-30 and if so could you point me in the right direction thanks again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A 0-15PSI gauge will give you a better reading.

davidstill1

Cadet

Hey Chris do you have any idea where I can find the 0-15 psi gauge

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

not offhand. You can look on the teleflex site