Adding Temp sensor& gauge to 1995 Mariner 150

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I am wanting to take the trim gauge out of my cluster and add a temp gauge on a 1995 ZX150 with a 150 Mariner motor...What all is needed to do this job and where should the temp sensor be placed on the motor? Has anyone done this before if so can you maybe give me some advice please? thanks alot!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding Temp sensor& gauge to 1995 Mariner 150

Here is a picture of a temp sender installed on my 75 HP triple. If the 150 has a similar hole into the water jacket, install the sender in that hole. Wire goes to the "I" terminal on the gauge. Gauge also needs +12 volts and ground and a light connections. Transfer the wires from the trim gauge. Tape off the gauge end of the trim sender wire.

8b915656.jpg

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture of a temp sender installed on my 75 HP triple. If the 150 has a similar hole into the water jacket, install the sender in that hole. Wire goes to the "I" terminal on the gauge. Gauge also needs +12 volts and ground and a light connections. Transfer the wires from the trim gauge. Tape off the gauge end of the trim sender wire.

8b915656.jpg

Thanks so much! Ill check it out tomorrow!

Dukedog

Captain

Hi, I am wanting to take the trim gauge out of my cluster and add a temp gauge on a 1995 ZX150 with a 150 Mariner motor...What all is needed to do this job and where should the temp sensor be placed on the motor? Has anyone done this before if so can you maybe give me some advice please? thanks alot!

EFI or carb? Either way tha sensor will go in "port" side head, right below tha # 2 spark plug. Tha EFI should already have a sensor in it. Tha carb may/may not have it. Tha "temp guage" wire coming from tha sensor will be a Tan or a Tan/Blue wire. It will plug into a bullet connector that is (or should be) sticking out (just like tha trim wires) of tha MALE end harness at tha motor. This tan wire can be picked up (found in a 5 wire guage harness) uaually at tha dash for tha guage...........

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

EFI or carb? Either way tha sensor will go in "port" side head, right below tha # 2 spark plug. Tha EFI should already have a sensor in it. Tha carb may/may not have it. Tha "temp guage" wire coming from tha sensor will be a Tan or a Tan/Blue wire. It will plug into a bullet connector that is (or should be) sticking out (just like tha trim wires) of tha MALE end harness at tha motor. This tan wire can be picked up (found in a 5 wire guage harness) uaually at tha dash for tha guage...........

EFI...ya I took a look at it a little bit ago...It already has a factory temp sending unit that will alarm when motor gets hot...But I am still think bout adding that temp gauge just to be safe...because you never know that buzzer might not work one day...So all the wiring is there right? I just need to tap into the wiring from the factory sending unit?

Dukedog

Captain

EFI...ya I took a look at it a little bit ago...It already has a factory temp sending unit that will alarm when motor gets hot...But I am still think bout adding that temp gauge just to be safe...because you never know that buzzer might not work one day...So all the wiring is there right? I just need to tap into the wiring from the factory sending unit?

Think ya might have misunderstood. If its an efi it could (should) already have a sensor for tha guage. On tha port head you have a sensor with two Tan/Black (go to tha ecu harness) wires and should also have a Tan or Tan/Blue. Tha Tan or Tan/Blue is for a guage. That sensor has nothing to do with over temp. Tha over temp sensor is on tha starboard side and is a circuit completely by itself. Do not tie anything else into that circuit. Tha two sensors may look tha same but they are not. If tha sensor on tha port side doesn't have tha three wires mentioned it will need to be replaced with one that does. Tha Tan or Tan/blue may also already pluged into tha harness at tha male end close to tha trim wires for tha cowl trim switch.........

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Think ya might have misunderstood. If its an efi it could (should) already have a sensor for tha guage. On tha port head you have a sensor with two Tan/Black (go to tha ecu harness) wires and should also have a Tan or Tan/Blue. Tha Tan or Tan/Blue is for a guage. That sensor has nothing to do with over temp. Tha over temp sensor is on tha starboard side and is a circuit completely by itself. Do not tie anything else into that circuit. Tha two sensors may look tha same but they are not. If tha sensor on tha port side doesn't have tha three wires mentioned it will need to be replaced with one that does. Tha Tan or Tan/blue may also already pluged into tha harness at tha male end close to tha trim wires for tha cowl trim switch.........

Thanks! So bacially All I have to do is take the Tan or Tan/blue wire and run it to the gauge and i will be good to go right? and just use the pos and neg fromt he Trim gauge to power the gauge? I know forsure I have 2 tan wires but i will double check tomorrow what it has...and then Ill order a gauge...Thanks so much and yes I did misunderstand

Dukedog

Captain

Think ya got it now! If you look at where tha Tan or Tan/blue plugs in at tha motor harness it will tell you what color to look for at tha dash. There may be two under there but one will already made up to tha warning buzzer. Tha one your lookin' for should be in a seperate 5 wire harness thats wired into tha main harness. Its specifically for guages. I usually use tha purple for a hot to most guages. Its switched with tha key. Pick up a blue for tha light. Gl with it..............D