'75 Mercury 650 Triple Exhaust Cover

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have two Merc manuals and neither one has the tightening sequence for my motor. I have the torque spec but not the sequence. Would anyone out there happen to have that?

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '75 Mercury 650 Triple Exhaust Cover

I have done it for years, just start at the center and work out in a circular pattern and repeat a couple of times. Buz

carholme

Rear Admiral

From the Clymer manual page 247:

Tighten the crankcase exhaust cover
and cylinder cover cap screws by first
tightening center screws, then tightening
screws evenly working outward,
away from center of crankcase. Tightening
torques are given in the CONDENSED
SERVICE DATA table.

Exhaust Cover:
1/4 inch 115 in.-lbs.
(13N-m)
5/16 inch 200 in.-lbs.
(22.6 N-m)

Gerry

M

Maxz695

Be super carefull if using sealer I believe you said you got new a cover and baffle. When tightening to tourque do it in steps do not tourque bolt all the way and go to the next. Tighten evenly a bit at a time in stages. I went through 4 sets of gaskets and 2 sets of covers before I finally got it to seal right. Tourquing to much will put to much pressure on the ears and could crack them. Best to as I said tighten a little bit at a time evenly compressing the covers to the case.

mercurymang

Yes, I plan to do it in 3 or 4 stages. I have to procure a torque wrench first.

M

Maxz695

20 bucks at auto zone inch LBS. You can get the free loan a tool like I did as they where out of inch LB wrenches. I had to put up 50 bucks until i bought it back though. Get some blue thread locker in the gskat sealer area while your there. Be sure the bolt hole are free from any debris. If there is gunk in there it could crack the block surface in the water port. I used a tap on them after cleaning them out.

mercurymang

Yep, that's what I'll be doing this weekend.