1996 150 hp volt meter reading

dusky

Cadet
Every now and then I see my volt meter move up from 14 to 16. It stays there for a minute or so and then goes back to 14. It has just started doing that. Could it be a battery problem? Thanks in advance for any info.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1996 150 hp volt meter reading

It could be a battery problem or an electrical connection. Check the water level in the battery and all the connections from it to the motor and the rectifier making sure they are shiney and tight. I just replaced my battery this past summer and it will do as yours is doing. I belive that as long as the volt gauge dose not stay at 16 more than a minuit or so everything will be fine. Just make sure the battery is full of water when you do a pretrip check of the boat. JMO
Oldman570

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On that engine you surely have a regulator. Regulators have limits and they are dependent upon a load....i.e. a battery wired to the regulator. As Old said, a bad wiring connection down circuit from the regulator could disconnect the battery from it, temporarily or whatever, and as a result spikes in the voltage would be the result.

On what he said about shiny, what's outside doesn't really matter. It's shiny on the inside, terminal to terminal metal to metal, where the current transfers is what matters. Get them all, at the battery and at the engine ground on the engine block and red distribution point....don't remember on that engine, usually the input hot lead to the starting solenoid.

Additionally, pull the pins from the sockets for the wiring to the regulator and clean that up too. A little WD-40 and mating of connectors a few times each will clean them up.

Mark

dusky

Cadet

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will get to try what you suggested next weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the help.

Dusky