Mercury Optimax 115HP alarm

Nitro482

Recruit
I get a single beep on blastoff and only during blastoff. The water pump impeller and gasket has been replaced by mechanic. It still alarms only during takeoff. I was told low water pressure would cause this. What should water pressure be at idle to takeoff? I also was told the wrong prop could cause this. I have a 20 pitch. Any suggestions? Also looking for a very good manual to do work myself.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Optimax 115HP alarm

The 20 should not be the issue, that's a pretty steep pitch. I would check the oil level in the oil tank.

Nitro482

Recruit

The 20 should not be the issue, that's a pretty steep pitch. I would check the oil level in the oil tank.

I always keep the oil tank full. I wouldn't think that would be the cause unless the sensor is failing. Any suggestions on how to determine the sensor causing this?

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class

trace the wires from the switch located under the oil tank. you should be able to unplug the connector. Next time it starts beeping try disconnecting those wires. That will tell you if the oil float switch is somehow sticking. do a similar thing with the overheat sensor.
don

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the oil level sensor. Try blastoff with and without it connected. Low oil certainly will cause an alarm.

Nitro482

Recruit

Check the oil level sensor. Try blastoff with and without it connected. Low oil certainly will cause an alarm.

I think the problem is fixed....ended up being a neutral safety switch. The shop finally took to lake with computer attached and it showed that while in gear and running the switch would show that it was toggling in gear and out of gear continuously.