1983 Mercury 50HP 4 cylinder 16V @ WOT WITH a regulator (rectifier was replaced)

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

NOTE: My motor originally had a rectifier only, it now has a regulator (rectifier was removed). I installed it yesterday. Even with the regulator it's pushing 16.1V at WOT. It seems not everyone is reading my entire post which is understandable since I wrote wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much!

My first post and sorry it's so long, but this battery charging issue is driving me crazy! :eek::facepalm::(

I rebuilt a 14' Fiberglass boat, from all the great topics on here. It had a rotten floor and transom. I will post pictures of that at some point, the boat looks like new!

Anyway... We've owned this motor since new, original stator, rectifier, trigger. The power pack went about 10 years ago and was replaced by a dealer with a mercury part, he did not replace anything else at the time.

I was replacing the fuel lines (rotten) and noticed the stator yellow wire housings were all cracked, I touched them and BOOM the housing just fell off the wires - wires were very corroded (fresh water too). A common issue from what I've read and people have soldered to about 2" of good wire at the stator. Well that worked. But I decided to ohm test the stator and found it to be bad (BLUE/BLUE-WHITE failed the ohm test) - lesson learned ohm test before wasting time repairing something that is dead :rolleyes: I replaced it with CDI stator 174-5454k1.

The trigger ohm tested perfect after I repaired one of the wires on that.

About 15 years ago my dad disconnected the battery with the motor running, tach smoked. So I figured I'd ohm test the rectifier as well, it tested bad. So I replaced it with a CDI rectifier 154-6770. Strange thing with the ORIGINAL rectifier the voltage was 13.98V at idle! One of the Yellow posts had continuity both directions to ground.

New CDI rectifier hooked up measured 16.85V at IDLE at 2000rpm it was around 17.1V I never voltage tested it under-way or at WOT. Took it for a spin, new tach was working great for 40 minutes until magic smoke came out it :)

Traced it down to the wiring harness fuse went sending all the rectified voltage into the tach. Harness had a direct connection to the rectifier and a FUSED link to the solenoid/battery post. The glass on the fuse was broken - probably during my maintenance and the solder joint of the 20A fused failed... "Disconnecting the battery" - therefore smoking my tach. I have rewired the harness as per CDI he said Mercury did some very odd wiring in the early 80's - Fused link from harness to solenoid (20A) and a separate fused link from the rectifier to solenoid (30A). Both fuse values suggested by CDI.

After reading about boiling batteries I decided to install a snowmobile rectifier/regulator (01-154-16) Kimpex ($39). It's rated at 200W or less which means it can handle 16A (My stator according to CDI outputs 9-11A). I installed it yesterday... cranked it up... 14.84V at idle... WOT it's outputting 16.1V so it is regulating!

I was VERY pleased however 16.1V is still WAY too high with a regulator.

The battery was purchased in 2008, it's a Walleye Marine Starting battery made by Crown Battery listed as "maintenance free" on the top label and "low maintenance" on the side of the battery. It's 550CCA. I popped the caps off and negative side of the battery water level was just below the plate. We took this as a maintenance free battery so NEVER checked the fluid. Boat/motor was last used in 2009 because of the rotten transom, battery has been charged on a regular basis - and is in "green" - I don't remember the actual gravity level on the battery hydrometer. It was used a few times with a winch to pull out sea-doos on a marine railway, but was always charged up afterwards. From what I've read, probably not very good for the battery since it's not a deep cycle one.

So far I've purchased a new CDI rectifier, Kimpex regulator, CDI Stator, 2 tachs (I have a replacement one but I'm not hooking it up until I solve the voltage issues). I've ordered parts to build a small voltage regulator JUST for the tach it's a low dropout one too (only .5V lost) and can take up to 32V DC and regulate it to 12V. When I spoke to the guy at CDI he suggested part # 193-5114 ($89) instead of using the CDI rectifier I had just purchased. This part is not on their site, but it's a regulator/rectifier made for Johnson motors but would work fine with my setup. But requires no heat sink??

Could a bad battery cause this? Or is the regulator I bought a POS? Would I be better purchasing a genuine Mercury reg/rect #883072T1 ($175)?

I do have another battery but it's from the same year which is used in our Inboard/Outboard. I also have a lawn tractor battery which we use in a boat that has no charging system (it was just purchased 2 months ago). Multiple sled batteries as well. But I think the small batteries would be too small to crank over this motor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Mercury 50HP 4 cylinder 16V @ WOT WITH a regulator (rectifier was replaced)

A couple of hints. I don't know if your engine has a regulator or not. Some didn't and had a lower current alternator with no regulator. Output voltages are in the range of 16 to 16.5V according to guys in the know on here. I don't know but I do know that a non-electric start 90 hp puts out 0 amperes at idle and 10 amperes at 5500 rpms per my service manual. Current is what charges your battery so that is what you are really interested in anyway. Course if the voltage gets too high, sensitive electronics that have no input power limiter could be damaged also...but most current equip has an over voltage limiter built in.

The battery charging circuit is a voltage in series with 2 resistors which help to set the operating current....the other is how fast the alternator spins as mentioned above. According to Ohm's law, V, the circuit voltage = the circuit resistance x the available current from the alternator.

As the alternator spins faster it puts out more voltage which can apply more current to a given load, note I said "given load".

The load current is constantly changing because of the applied voltage is really a differential voltage difference between what the alternator is putting out at a given rpm and the charge level of the battery which has an associated voltage associated with it.

On the 10 amperes mentioned above, that is the maximum this alternator will put out into a discharged battery. As the battery accumulates a charge, the voltage from the alternator rises as a result of the battery charging which raises it's terminal voltage also causing the charging current falls off also.

Depending upon the design of the alternator, once the battery assumes a "full charge" which has a rather large window, the current drops off to a trickle or it may continue with enough energy transfer to overheat the battery and boil out the water portion of the electrolyte...standard wet cell battery of yesteryear which a few are still made. This is evident by seeing liquid residue around the fill caps and feeling heat on the side of the battery proper.

If the battery is defective; sulfated up internally, it cannot provide adequate current to do it's job and also cannot accept current from a charging circuit. It has a high internal resistance which inhibits current flow. This represents a light load to an alternator and CAN cause the voltage to rise above what is normal....with an unregulated supply which you may have. This then could provide your 17v.

So, in answering your question, yes the battery could cause the problem.

HTH,
Mark

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1983 Mercury 50HP 4 cylinder 16V @ WOT WITH a regulator (rectifier was replaced)

I think I spent $50 (ebay) on the regulator I was using with my LAST Tower of Power . Money well spent in my opinion to be able to have battery that cranks and lasts. Batteries you have to fill with water and probably wont leave you stranded are for the birds.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Any bad connections from the battery to the motor will cause your trouble with the tach and rectifier. I replaced my glass fuss with a newer grasshopper setup and use diaelectric greese on all the electrical connections. When the battery connection gose bad it will burn up the tach and can do the rectifier also. As long as the battery has caps so water can be added and is a marine battery, it should be good. Most tachs hook to one of the yellow wires on the rectifier or a gray wire if it has one. Use of a marine battery is a must on most boat motors. JMO
Oldman570

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess my post was too long :)

I'm wondering if an OLD battery (I have not had it load tested yet) could cause a high voltage situation even with a regulator?

My motor has a Stator and 12 fixed magnets in the flywheel.

It originally had a rectifier, it now has a snowmobile regulator/rectifier (Kimpex 01-154-16).

- Voltage with the rectifier before it was replaced was 16.85V or so at idle and 17.1V @ 2000rpm. I never tested it at WOT
- Voltage with Regulator is 14.94V at idle and 16.1V at WOT

Motor tops at at 5300rpm with a 17 pitch prop (rated for 5500rpm).

Regulated output of 16.1V at WOT seems high.

All contacts are clean - I had the starter out to fix the fuel lines all contacts were cleaned when I assembled everything.

Texasmark - This is a stator not an alternator, but thanks for replying - and it regulated now as I replaced the rectifier with a regulator
wired247 - Yep I have a regulator already but still high voltage (16.1V at WOT), I was hoping to see the 13.5-14.5V range
oldman570 - Yes your correct that is what happened, the glass fuse broke - now replaced with a nice in-line automotive fuse holder (it's water/air tight too)

Ben

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes....read link below from CDI about charging systems, batterys and has to check that stator has equal output..
http://www.outboardmarine.co.nz/upload/form_files/8580641c00fb4cbcd1e920c0e20c6ac054876.pdf

I have read that. And it does talk a bit about a bad battery can cause this, but it's more leaning towards a rectifier. It was my understanding a regulator outputs 13.5-14.5v independent of the battery used. However I know Yamaha and CDI both say do not use maintenance free batteries. I've found 1 or 2 posts on some other forums where a defective battery (brand new) the person saw 16.8V with a Mercury Regulator.

I did try the lawn tractor battery and a sled battery (maintenance free). And both of those had the same voltage at idle (14.94v). I was surprised they had no issues starting the motor!

I guess I'll build myself a DVA adapter for my multi-meter and do some tests, but I can't see the stator being bad as it's brand new. Regulator is anyone's guess as it's made in China.. maybe it's defective. I think this boat/motor is cursed :(

Next step I guess is to take the battery in for a load test.

Ben

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Always use refill maintenance batts.My 88 V6 in unregulated and often pegs at 17V WOT.
I use 650 CCA 140 reserve Battery.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

All the Mercs I have (5) will run up to 16 to17 volts on the gauge at WOT and will drop back to 12 to 13 at idle. This is normal for recitifers and dose not hurt the battery, as long as one checks the electrlite (water) level in the battery while doing pretrip checks of the boat. JMO
Oldman570

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've read that as well however I replaced the rectifier with a regulator and have 14.94v at idle and 16.1v at WOT.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I can't see the stator being bad as it's brand new.
I have had several new CDI parts defective out of box, thats one reason why I have switched to Sierra when its available. Get a standard battery (not maintenance free) and retest along with checking the stator output as it must have equal output.This is just AC so you can check it without a DVA adapter.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Your regulator does not work or maybe it works like it should for a snowmobile . It should put out in the mid 14 volt range.

Get a Mercury voltage regulator. They or their clones run $50-$100 bucks on ebay and use a regular old car type modern battery. Mercury now uses voltage regulators for a reason you know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-MAR...hash=item19d61f7b71&item=110966569841&vxp=mtr

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your regulator does not work or maybe it works like it should for a snowmobile . It should put out in the mid 14 volt range.

Get a Mercury voltage regulator. They or their clones run $50-$100 bucks on ebay and use a regular old car type modern battery. Mercury now uses voltage regulators for a reason you know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-MAR...hash=item19d61f7b71&item=110966569841&vxp=mtr

Do you think the "clones" are just as good? I was hoping this regulator would work, sounds to be like it's busted. I don't want to buy yet another thing that doesn't work :) But the Mercury part is $175!

What do I do with the red "sense" wire? Do I tape it off?

Yes....read link below from CDI about charging systems, batterys and has to check that stator has equal output..
http://www.outboardmarine.co.nz/upload/form_files/8580641c00fb4cbcd1e920c0e20c6ac054876.pdf

Do I test the voltage with everything connected to the regulator? Yellow to ground on each is simple enough that is AC. But it sounds like for the Yellow to solenoid post (red) I would need a DVA meter?

Ben

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

The clones work fine. My dads had one for a few years on his 90 HP and has not had any problems. The red "sense" wire is so you can run a voltage gauge. Tape it if you don't run one.

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The clones work fine. My dads had one for a few years on his 90 HP and has not had any problems. The red "sense" wire is so you can run a voltage gauge. Tape it if you don't run one.

This looks like the same part...
REGULATOR RECTIFIER Mercury Mariner Outboard 6-Wire 12 Volt Series Type 14.4 Set | eBay

The one you posted doesn't ship to Canada.

I will be taking the battery for a load test this week. We'll see what comes out of that... But I'm starting to think either the snowmobile is busted (brand new) or for some reason doesn't work on the outboard (even though it's rated for 200W).

Ben

emckelvy

Commander

I've never seen a small Merc with a charging system that would put out almost 15V at idle. You might want to check the accuracy of your meter.

What's the battery voltage when the motor is not running? Check the battery voltage of your car/truck as well, turned off and then running, just as another reference point.

Most older Merc charging systems will barely put out higher than battery voltage at idle, then when you rev the motor you'll be able to see a voltage rise. I would also have expected much better voltage control with a regulator installed, somewhere in the 13.5-15V range depending on speed.

Anyway, something else to check!

HTH & G'luck with the troubleshooting.......ed

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I did some more testing..

Battery 1 (Been in the boat for 4 days with an automatic bilge pump):
- 12.7V battery (before starting)
- 15.1V @ idle

Battery 2 (Fresh charge - water level was topped up) - came off charge 4hrs prior:
- 13.34V battery (before starting)
- 15.1V @ idle

I doubt my voltmeter is busted, but I'll give it try with another one. Did not have time to take it for a spin... Both batteries are the same cranking amps, same manufacture, both purchased in 2008, 4 months apart.

Stator test @ idle:
- Yellow #1 - 25.4vac
- Yellow #2 - 24.6vac

I'll be taking both batteries for a load test this week.

Ben

cyclops2

Banned

I simply added a power resistor in series with the charging lead. Done. It limits the fully charged battery to 13.6 volts at WOT. Battery is fully charged & never needs more water.

Never take a battery lead off . Before or when the motor is running. Fuses protect the wires........nothing else.

I have also made a 13.6 volt voltage regulator by weakening the spring of a 12 vdc relay. Takes some time to get it right. S P S T.

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took both batteries in for a load test.

Using a SNAP-ON D-TAC PLUS:

Battery #1 (Older by 4 months) - just freshly charged
Battery Condition: Good
Battery size: 550CCA
Available Amps: 578CCA
% Rated Capacity: 105%
Battery Temp: 70F
Initial Volts: 12.88V
Final Volts: 12.31V
Impedance 5.52 mega ohms

Battery #2 (This is the battery I've been using)
Battery Condition: Good
Battery size: 550CCA
Available Amps: 517CCA
% Rated Capacity: 94%
Battery Temp: 70F
Initial Volts: 12.66V
Final Volts: 12.30V
Impedance: 6.18 mega ohms

Looks like the batteries are fine, since #2 was running a bilge pump for 4-5 days after it was charged and both also cranked the motor 3-4 times during my testing.

I guess I'll order the after-market Mercury Regulator.

Ben

Fastrack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this thread is over 90 days old, but I hate when threads have no resolution.

I ended up scoring a genuine Mercury regulator 815279A2 off Ebay that is vfixed at 14.4V. Cranked up the motor 13.85V @ idle and 14.45V @ 3500rpm!

Bottom line is do not bother with the snowmobile regulators (unless I got a defective one), either buy an after-market Regulator OR a genuine one if you can score a good deal on one! But make sure it states it is vfixed @ 14.4V

The kit also came with a nice big heat sink which I was able to mount beside the carbs on the left side of the motor. I also used artic silver thermal-compound between the regulator & heatsink.

Ben

Last edited: