1975 Mercury 9.8HP (110) Stop Switch

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys I have a 9.8 merc that I bought in non-running condition, I got the motor running but the stop switch will not work, I have a parts motor and tried to use the skill switch from it but that does not work either. I noticed when I looked online the stop switch has two wires coming from it, Mine does not it just has one wire that connects up underneath the fly wheel.

Any ideas of what i can try to do or what parts i should order?

The serial number for the running motor is 4130359
Parts motor number is 3925283

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Mercury 9.8HP (110) Stop Switch

Hi guys I have a 9.8 merc that I bought in non-running condition, I got the motor running but the stop switch will not work, I have a parts motor and tried to use the skill switch from it but that does not work either. I noticed when I looked online the stop switch has two wires coming from it, Mine does not it just has one wire that connects up underneath the fly wheel.

Any ideas of what i can try to do or what parts i should order?

The serial number for the running motor is 4130359
Parts motor number is 3925283
Should be another terminal on the stop switch that you run to ground. I'm not familiar with that motor
though.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The stop switch switch could only have one wire and ground out the motor if it is ground by the mounting hardware for the switch. This setup is not realy a good deal in my thoughts. You can replace it with a stop switch with two wires and it will work just fine. When buying a new switch look for one with wires long enought to reach the termanl and be able to reach a good ground on the block, otherwise you will have to add, soider, more wire onto them to get to needed locations. Most newer small hp motors have this type of switch and should work on your motor. JMO
Oldman570

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

The stop switch switch could only have one wire and ground out the motor if it is ground by the mounting hardware for the switch. This setup is not realy a good deal in my thoughts. You can replace it with a stop switch with two wires and it will work just fine. When buying a new switch look for one with wires long enought to reach the termanl and be able to reach a good ground on the block, otherwise you will have to add, soider, more wire onto them to get to needed locations. Most newer small hp motors have this type of switch and should work on your motor. JMO
Oldman570
Yes sir! I agree !

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oldman570 that is what I was thinking. Do you have any idea what year model merc I should order from? I'm sure if I order using my 75 mercs serial number it will still be the old style switch

Thank you all for your replies.

M

Maxz695

any single click switch will work

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Older Mercs and OMC 9.9 or 9.5 motors have the switch that will work for you Look at motors of the 4970 to 1980 years of manufacture and you will find one. A starter switch for older farm tractors will work also. JMO
oldman570

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the help , I'll order one and let you know of it fixes the problem