help on 1982 200 blackmax

red423

Cadet
Hey you guys really helped me last time, now I am stuck, coming off the thermastats are a crossover hose which runs down to a tee, one side is the telltale weep and the other goes to a fitting on the engine, I have hardly and water pissing out the back but when I collapse the tube from the tee to the bottom of the block it pisses like a merc should. I have tried to find a diagram for the cooling sysem to find out what I screwed up to cause this, it isn't overheating at all but it is driving me nuts there is intermitent water coming from the tell tale, anyone know what that fitting on the engine does and where it goes and why when I pinch it the telltale works like it should?? Thanks in advance red

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: help on 1982 200 blackmax

No experience with your engine but had a son with a early model 150 V6. The pee was plumbed off the stats which were plumbed together in series....either opened and you got pee. You had to get the stat open (143F) to get pee. So you had to wait and wait and wait and wait, the colder the water/ambient temp, the longer the wait, till you knew your impeller was functioning......totally sucking Merc design....should have fired the moron that designed that........... When the engine was warming up, the pee would come and go as a function of the stat opening and closing as it maintained the engine temp with a light load. Once up and running with the bypass valves kicking in and all you had a nice stream.

Other thing I recall was a hose from the top of the block that discharged below the powerhead into the mid section.

SWAG ("Scientific" Wild *****ed guess) was that this was a water pressure bypass for cooling water when the stats or bypasses weren't open. Had to be as it was at the top rear, center, of the block, no obstructions in it, just a 1/8 pipe plug/hose barb on top and bottom and a tube connecting.

I had a real problem with this setup so I re-plumbed it from the output of the stats to this port at the top center rear of the block with a tee to the pee port, so that when the water pump was pumping, giving time for the block to fill and all at startup, the pee was present. Worked great.

Sorry design from the factory if you ask me, but nobody asked.

HTH,
Mark

red423

Cadet

Mark,
Thank you for that response. While I agree the cooling system does lack a few things, still I am a novice and want to know what happened. Near as i can tell that line I am talking about goes to a fitting on the exhaust plate I am trying to figure out how that spray system works as I can't for the life of me understand what I could have broke or blown off that is not allowing an equal pressure to the tell tale and the exhaust plate from the thermastats. I was going fishing tomorrow, so I will find out about the new poppit valve and spring I installed, if it its working. This is only the second time I have fiddled with a Mercury engine so I have a big learning curve here. This particular boat belonged to my older brothers, one of whom is no longer with us, so to be able to get it "right" is pretty important to me personally. thanks red

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What you describe is normal on a water hose, it will pee better when in water do to pressure on exhaust plate....

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds normal,Pee stream is only to tell pump is working.You either have low water pressure or maybe partial blockage behind pee spout.If water coming from prop your pump is working.

red423

Cadet
I wanted to add to this, since I am on here, you guys are totally correct, I use a water hose to flush and pre warm engine before we go out and the stream is weal at best, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, and thanks admiral, it pees like a race horse when on the water, I am so happy:lol::lol::lol::lol: