86 model 115 hp mariner boggs realy bad

jpem2010

Cadet
Im having problems with the motor stalling and bogging when u matt on the gas from a dead stop. It stalls like it is starving for gas. I can hit the choke and feather the throttle and will eventually get on plain and does wonderfull on topend and mid range. Motor also idles fine to. Just installed new stator, power packs and carb overhaul. Ive checked the fuel pump and diophram all seem to be workin properly. ive adjusted the carbs one full turn out and played with it and dont know what else to do. Ive also done a compresion test all are 126lbs. Please any advise would be helpfull thanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 model 115 hp mariner boggs realy bad

Seems like you covered all the bases except one....course nothing else changed with respect to your "rig" in the mean time...right?

One turn out on the low speeds jets is a bit light. Try all at 1 1/4 and if that helps but doesn't solve the problem go to 1 1/2 on all. If that gets you going, go look up CharlieB's postings on carb low speed jet tuning and that should fix you up. If you can't find them PM him.

Come back with progress/problems.

Mark

jpem2010

Cadet

Thanks ill try that in the next couple days and get back to ya . Would that also make it very hard to crank on cold days or is that the nature of the stack 6 mariners?

M

Maxz695

Starter build up of gunk particals etc bind the starter. A teardown of the starter an good cleaning and shot of PB Blaster on the amature would be a recomendation. Be sure to greese the lower part of the armature as dry turning slows the starter esspecially under load.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Would that also make it very hard to crank on cold days or is that the nature of the stack 6 mariners?

Cold weather means that your battery is not up to it's warm weather capacity so the weaker parts show their colors; battery amperage delivery requirement (150-200 amperes....my 90 triple is spec'd at 120 amps), dirty contacts on interconnect wiring that help to deplete what power is available from the lower output of the battery for a couple.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The IL6 motors need lots of choke to start even on warm days. Don't skimp on the choke....

jpem2010

Cadet

Ok well im goin to put it in the water tomorrow and will let yall know what happens when i tune on carbs and thanks alot for yalls advise.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If that doesn't work..... you may have to check floats are operating correctly as it could be choking ..not starving.
Make sure floats are set to correct level and needle seats are not sticking.

jpem2010

Cadet

Ok well i adjusted the carbs out today while i had boat in the water like yall advised me to. It runs awsome now no more bogging. It has great hole shot and cranked rite up with no problems. I have the carbs adjusted out 2 1/8 turns and that was the sweet spot. Thanks alot to u all for helpin me fix another problem. I will keep recomendin this site . Thanks again

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Glad it worked out for you. That's what it's all about helping others enjoy boating.

Mark