Mercury 1975 merc 200 20 hp shift cam replament directions neeeded

Chris52796

Seaman
Im replacing the shift cam but i do not know how to get to it
i need help fast because i have no neutral or reverse, it is stuck in forward

for more info and pictures of this motor, click link below...

Mercury Parts, MERC 200

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury 1975 merc 200 20 hp shift cam replament directions neeeded

You have to take off the lower unit where the cam will be apearent sitting on the shifter shaft.You should make sure when you relace it that it goes back in the exact same position as when you removed it or it will not work correctly.

carholme

Rear Admiral

In your parts list, see item 50 under GEAR HOUSING ASSEMBLY, COMPLETE (PAGE 2). That is the shift cam.

You don't define your problem, did this happen all of a sudden or was it after any maintenance which you have performed?

Gerry

Chris52796

Seaman

i have the shift cam
it broke when i tried putting it in reverse because it took a lot of force to get it in gear.
If i can't figure it out i will bring it to a marina if it is harder then i think to fix it

CAM00057.jpg
CAM00058.jpg

i have images of my manual how to move the shift road but i can't open the rubber plug because the scews will not turn even with boths hands on the screwdriver so i don't know if i should drill it out or not.

M

Maxz695

You need to spray some lube and let it penatrate for some time. Clearify your using a screwdriver on a bolt hex head? Tip after spraying lube and setting a while try to gently tighten the bolt then losen then tighten keep repeating over and over but do not force the bolt it will in time give a bit at a time. if you break it. then you have no choice but to reem it out. Patience is nessecary here. Be sure to keep adding lubricant between tightening and losening a tad at a time. A heat source like a hairdryer will also be of some help. You must be patient and work at it.