1997 Mariner -V6- 135 HP

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to change the impeller on my engine. I have done it myself in the past. My problem is I can't disengage the lower unit from the rest of the engine. I have removed all bolts EXCEPT the 2 bolts on each side of the engine. I have loosened these bolts so the lower unit won't drop off. I have removed the bolt that connects to the trim tab.
I kept the engine in neutral. ( no problems in the past. The shifter is in neutral and the prop is in neutral. I can turn the prop freely either way.
This engine has only been used in fresh water. I have used a block of wood and rapped the lower unit on all sides. it doesn't seem to want to give.
Any ideas????
Sullmate

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 Mariner -V6- 135 HP

After removing trim tab did you check you have removed the bolt that is in the trim tab cavity.Easy to forget as its unsighted.Otherwise you may have siezed the drive shaft splines together.

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks aussieflash. My bad. I should have RTFM again. I initially missed this bolt. When it was removed the lower unit came right off.
I boat guys are the best!!!!!
Sullmate

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks aussieflash. My bad. I should have RTFM again. I initially missed this bolt. When it was removed the lower unit came right off.
I boat guys are the best!!!!!
Sullmate

You aren't the first to miss it and surely won't be the last. BTDT Grin

Mark