1975 Mercury 9.8 110 Questions

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently acquired a 1975 9.8 from a friend of mine for next to nothing the motor was rebuilt a few years ago and then set in storage the block and all the wiring are very clean, it also came with an identical parts motor. The problem I am having is that the running motor has no lower unit so I'm using the LU from the parts motor along with the shift linkage.
My problem is I'm not sure what gear the motor was left in, and how does the shifter go together I see there's a gear on the bottom on the motor and then the Lever that's on the outside has a shaft then another gear that i'm assuming meets the gear on the bottom of the motor to switch gears. But how do I line this up because I'm not sure what gear the motor is in the begin with?

Also when it comes to the shifter on the outside of the motor I'm assuming Up right would be neutral , Pulling it Forward would put the motor in forward gear and pushing it backwards would put it in reverse?

Thanks in advance for any replies
(I'm used to working with Johnson/Rudes, Ive never messed around with an old merc before)