HELP! 1967 Mercury 200

wba593

Recruit
Hello, I'm new here and I have been working on my Great-grandfathers 1967 Mercury 200 for the past couple months. It hasn't been started in about 40 something years, and I finally got it started the other day.

I replaced the impeller, spark plugs, and a few other things. It was pretty tough to figure out how to get it all apart and back together.

My problem is that when I got it started and running for a few minutes, something started smoking in the top of the motor. I turned it off and took off the cover, and the brown plastic inside the cover had burned. I guess the motor was overheating.

I put a new impeller in, but thinking that I may have put it in incorrectly, and water is not getting to the top of the motor.

Also, where is the water supposed to stream out? I can't find a hole anywhere and I mean anywhere for it to be streaming out of. I used ear muffs when I first got it started, but switched to a trash can full of water. The only holes I can find are the two square holes that the exhaust comes out of.

Thanks for any help!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP! 1967 Mercury 200

For the trash can you need to keep the water refreshed to keep it cool and it has to remain above the water pump. That could very well be your overheat problem.

Messing up the impeller installation is really hard to do. The easiest thing to mess up is the outlet tube from the top of the water pump housing to the bottom of the block. If that is not securely installed you will not have adequate cooling water.

I just answered a post this am on the subject on a 5 hp Mariner I think; this forum half a dozen threads up. Check it out and get the rest of your answer.

Mark

M

Maxz695

Run it for a brief moment (but do not let it get hot) with the cover off and see if there is water spaying somewhere in the engine that a hose may be disconnected or rotted through. Some older mercs didn,t have the tell tale appearently. Make sure no wiring is grounding anywhere or rubbing the flywheel. Did the impellor you remove have any fins missing on it?

wba593

Recruit

Thanks for the help guys. What if I took the hose off of the engine block and started running it for a second, to see if water is coming out of the hose? Would this be dangerous?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If there's a hose running from the cylinder block to the rear of the belly pan, then it has a tell-tale. Removing the hose from the nip on the belly pan won't cause any problems for testing purposes... Might just be blocked up with mud, sand, seaweed, etc.

Mi duckdown

Commander

wba593. What texasmark posted about watertube and what max695 asked about broken fins.