115 hp mariner (early 80's) starter bendix shaft not engaging

kingfish166

Cadet
I cleaned ALL wire terimals fore to aft, got 12.8v to starter, put cables direct to starter and lubed up bendix. Still nothing. Bad starter?

M

Maxz695

Re: 115 hp mariner (early 80's) starter bendix shaft not engaging

does the starter turn and the bendix doesn,t rise? or you get nothing at all?

kingfish166

Cadet

the bendix spins and rises but falls immediately while still spinning at same speed. It's got the juice just rises about 1/4", I cleaned and re-cleaned the shaft. I can lift it with my fingers and i'ts smooth.

M

Maxz695

add some light oil to the shaft Did you dis assemble the starter? Mine was acting up and when I took it apart the crap in there was atrotious. I had to use the brushes from my 40 HP starter in the 70 HP. The brush wiring was much thiner but worked great and after removing all the crud and filing the pitted armature it works as good as a new starter. The trick in getting it back together is cutting a round piece of plastic making a groove for the end of the armature to hold down the brushes until inserting the armeture shaft into the end cap (greesed) and then sliding the make shift plastic retainer out to completely reassemble it. It works like a charm every time.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the bendix spins and rises but falls immediately while still spinning at same speed. It's got the juice just rises about 1/4", I cleaned and re-cleaned the shaft. I can lift it with my fingers and i'ts smooth.
Probably means it's not spinning fast enough. Is the battery charged up completely?

kingfish166

Cadet

yes, it's charged up, new battery too.

M

Maxz695

Junk can build up in the starter making it bind and not spin freely and as fast as it should. I just took mine apart and it was loaded with magnet and pitted armature material. I filed the pitting off the armature and cleaned all the crap off the magnets, then lubed it all with PB Blaster. I had to even use the plastic insert and bushings from my smaller 40 HP starter as on of the brush leads disintigrated. I made my speacial tool out of a peice of plastic to hold the brushes in place while I reinserted the armature and case at which point the speacil tool slides nicely right out of the unit allowing it to all fall into place for bolting. It went from a steady turn when starting to a winding spin like a brand new stater should. I can send a pic of the tool I make for this job if you would like. It can be cut from an antifreeze bottle or something flat and plastic its basically a big O with a small U cut in it the size of the armature shaft end. Works like a charm every time

kingfish166

Cadet

I want to thank all you for your awesome input. I did everything that you guys said and final result was bad contact in bottom of starter. got it rebuilt for 70 bucks!!