Mercury 2005 150hp Optimax Trim runs down on its on

Captfish

Recruit
Mercury 2005 150hp Optimax the motor trim runs down on. The tilt and trim motor will run down on it on and stay on running. You can push the trim button up and the motor some up and when you let off the switch it running back down and stays ruining. Check the two relays and swamped them out still does it. Guess the only thing it can be is the tilt and trim motor is bad? Anyone else have this problem? And is there anything else it can be?

Thanks

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 2005 150hp Optimax Trim runs down on its on

Sounds like you need a new switch in the throttle handle.

jpem2010

Cadet

I agree i had a johnson do the same thing and it was my tilt switch on the bow of the boat was stuck on the contacts.

Captfish

Recruit

Sorry guys should of post that I have replaced the switch. This was the first thing I done.

waynelk

Seaman Apprentice

Not going to be the trim motor. Only way the motor will run either direction is by passing power through the solenoids. You need to check the solenoids with a meter or test light to see if power is coming out the big lug to the trim motor. The small posts one is power (left)and the other is ground (right) When you push the trim it puts power to the small post (left) which causes the coil to energize and pass power through the big lugs to the trim motor. Since you switched solenoids with same results you have power to the small post all the time and you should have heard the solenoid energize when you hooked it up or put the battery back on?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I have found the trim wiring in the throttle control arm broken where they flex and poking out thru the insulation like porcupine quills, when they touched the trim would run.

Replaced those wires.