1972 mercury 140hp l6

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If anyone remembers, I am still chasing down that rubbing noise that I posted on Sep,20th, I have tried all the suggestions with no luck. I think it might be a crank bearing, I would like to know if anyone has replaced those bearings without pulling out the crank? On my spare motor for parts which is the same motor I have removed the bottom bearing carrier and can see the bearing fine? I haven't pulled the top bearing carrier and was hoping it will come off the same way. Any help would be well appreciated, I will try to post the most recient video as the noise is getting a lot worse. Thanks Buz

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 mercury 140hp l6

Pulling the end caps will allow you to see the bearings. You may need a puller to reach in there and grab them to pull them out. First check them for wear. They are pretty robust. Maybe you will find something else that is making the rubbing noise. Bearing in the distributor? Flywheel hitting stator or something else. Can you feel rubbing when turning crank by hand?

It helps to loosen the crankcase bolts near the end caps, before removing them. Remember to save the brass shims on the top end cap and use new seals when reinstalling.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 mercury 140hp l6

Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try, at least if I can get the end caps off (which on the parts motor I got the bottom end cap off) then I can at least check the bearings. I know these motors are well built but if you consider I am dealing with a motor that is 40 years old. If you are kind enough look at the bottom of this thread on the similar threads and you can view the videos that are on my Sep 20 post, the second video is most informative rather than going to u tube, in fact if you go to u tub you will see my last video this last weekend at the shore (sea isle city nj) where the noise is getting worse. I noticed you are in Barnegat bay nj, well I have a house in Sea Isle nj, so we are neighbors. Thanks Buz