1968 Mercury 650SS Not Charging

TMAD

Cadet
Hello All,
Like the title says I have a 1968 Mercury 650SS outboard with a thunderbolt ignition system. Engine serial number is 2313454.
Here is the history. I bought the boat three months ago and finally finished working on the boat and can concentrate on the engine now. I have cleaned the carbs with my ultrasonic cleaner and installed new carb kits. The plugs were changed and the distributor was cleaned. When went to start the engine it started quite fast and idled very nice with just minor adjustments to the carbs. Here is where things start to go sideways. I tested the voltage across the battery and I was only getting 12.40 VDC. I checked the rectifier with my fluke meter and found that it was no longer working so I replaced it with a GBPC2510. Once the modifications were done I connected the alternator stator wires (two yellow) to the rectifier and did not attach the positive to the electrical system yet. I started the engine and found the new rectifier was producing 15.8 VDC, high but not too high. I connected the DC side to the electrical system and moved on to time the engine before testing the voltage again. Bad call on my part but we will get to that. I wanted to do a timing check and found the marks on the fly wheel and put some white out on the marks, all standard stuff for working on engines. When I had it idling I found that my marks were nowhere to be found. After stopping the engine I recognized a pant chip from the strobe light and it was exactly 180 degrees from my marks. Someone had taken the flywheel off and put it back on backwards. I turned it around and tested the timing again. It required only a little timing adjustment in the full throttle position and I was very pleased with how things were progressing. So now I get around to testing the voltage again and find that I am still only getting 12.40 VDC on the battery. I pull the ignition system off the rectifier and the rectifier is only producing around 12.34 VDC now. I left the stator leads connected the rectifier and tested the AC voltage from the stator and I was only getting a reading of 10.5 VAC well this does not seem right. I would expect it to be a lot higher but I do not know the value for this stator at idle. With the engine off and the stator leads disconnected i am getting 1.2 ohms across the leads.
So here are my questions to you experts.
1. What is the ACV of the stator at idle suppose to be?
2. What is the resistance of the stator suppose to be?
3. What is the maximum current output of the original rectifier? The manual says 6-8 amps and the new rectifier is good up to 25 amps.
4. Is my flywheel orientation changing things that i am not paying attention to?
That is all for now and I look forward to everyone?s thoughts of this situation.
Thanks
Tim

M

Maxz695

Re: 1968 Mercury 650SS Not Charging

Changing the flywheel to it,s proper position should not affect the rectifier. You seemed to have lost voltage in the batt dropingf from 12 + to 10 volts. Be sure you have a good battery and that it is well charged before looking at the rectifier. The rectifier on my engine will not show an increase above 12 volts until the battery has a sufficient charge. Even then it takes some time running before it will advance my gauge.

TMAD

Cadet
Re: 1968 Mercury 650SS Not Charging

Changing the flywheel to it,s proper position should not affect the rectifier. You seemed to have lost voltage in the batt dropingf from 12 + to 10 volts. Be sure you have a good battery and that it is well charged before looking at the rectifier. The rectifier on my engine will not show an increase above 12 volts until the battery has a sufficient charge. Even then it takes some time running before it will advance my gauge.

The 10V is the AC voltage from the Stator.
The battery is new and fully charged before all testing.
Thanks
Tim