Mercury 115 lower unit and shifting question

Socal_Dad

Recruit
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a boat and I'm learning my way around it as I get things set up. The maintenance was way behind schedule and it sat for a few years so I've been doing the usual: drain fuel, replace fuel filters, drain and clean carbs, fresh plugs, impeller kit, new battery, lubed the pinion gear on the starter, and probably more little stuff I'm forgetting.

I test ran the engine and it was nice and smooth, but I noticed something that bothered me and I'd like to ask for some help.

I ran the engine with the control handle in neutral, but the prop was still spinning. Is there drag in the lower unit that would let it spin, or should it sit still? When I put the control forward and let the engine rev a bit, it spins faster. when I put it in reverse, I'm not seeing the prop stop and change directions.

Did I get the shift mechanism misaligned when I put the lower unit back on after I replaced the impeller? I'd like to know how this is supposed to work and if there is anything I should check before I pull the lower unit back off. I want to make sure it is done right and that I don't just repeat the process with the same outcome.

Thanks a bunch!!

It's a 1993 Mercury 115 4 cyl 2 stroke.​

Socal_Dad

Recruit
Re: Mercury 115 lower unit and shifting question

OK, problem solved! I removed the lower unit and made sure it would shift properly from reverse to neutral to forward. It seems that when I changed the impeller, the control handle was in neutral while the lower unit was in forward gear. I put in in neutral, re-installed the unit and all is well.

Thanks anyway for those who read this, and maybe someone else can find a hint here that will help them with a similar issue.​