9.9 hp mercury steering lock?

cdooley40

Recruit
I don't know much about motors, i'm a kayaker, but recently I bought a 14ft jon boat with a 9.9 hp mercury I believe it's early 1990's model, anyways it runs strong and it starts on 1st or second pull it's the kind of motor you have a handle to steer it left and right but i guess its locked from what I can tell because it will not go left or right... dude said he had the motor on the back of a sail boat at one point but i dont know what happened... anyone got any suggestions? would be appreciated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 9.9 hp mercury steering lock?

It should have several grease Zerk`s, I would start with those. and some penetrating oil sure helps.

cdooley40

Recruit

i should just lube the whole thing down? is this something easy to do or should i take it to a outboard repair shop and have them work on it.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The PO might have tightend the steering tube bolt up tight so the motor would not turn easy if it was on a sail boat. Some use the boat tiller to do the turning and not the motor. There should be a adjustment screw or bolt on one side or the other, of the mounting tube, that can be lossened up so the motor will turn as needed. You might have to use a penatrent to get the motor to turn if it was a saltwater used motor. JMO
Oldman570