1971 Mercury 9.8 Wiring problems

gharris24

Recruit
I pulled out an old Mercury 9.8 HP, year 1971, from storage. It is in good condition, but the plugs and coils needed to be replaced which I have done as well as new insulator blocks. The wiring was in really bad shape, which I took pictures of and started the job. I then lost my phone and all the pictures in it.:facepalm: I have one wire coming off the stator to the kill switch that I had already changed. That leaves 3 wires, one more coming off the stator that I know goes to the coils and two coming from insulator blocks to the coils, and without the pictures I took I cannot get the wiring situation finished.

Can anyone post a wiring diagram, or know how I should hook up the wires going to my coils as far as pos/neg? I am having no luck. :confused:

This is my first post and boat restoration so bear with me. Thanks everyone!

Grant

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1971 Mercury 9.8 Wiring problems

You posted this in the Mercruiser IO forum, I will move this to the Mercury outboard forum for you.

Laddies

Banned

4.jpg

gharris24

Recruit

Thank you Laddies for the fast reply. The old original wiring is really finely stranded 10/12 gauge copper wire. The replacement I purchased at my local hardware store is not so finely stranded. Will this impact my work? Thanks

Laddies

Banned

Yes, leave a little extra length for the bends