1988 200HP Mercury Outboard with intermittent rough idle / stator problem

ninemilelarry

Recruit
Hi Everyone. I just wanted to share my experience in repairing this problem with information taken mostly from your forum.

My 1988 Merc 200 OB has had a strange problem starting about 3 years ago. It would run perfectly for a while and then every now and then it would start sputtering, smoking and stall at an idle. It always ran pefect over 3000 rpm.

I took it to 2 different Merc mechanics and they could not find the problem mainly because it would run fine for them. Of course I was $500 lighter every time, but with no solution. They suggested that 200 hp Mercs don't like to idle and that I should get used to it. Pretty tough to waterski with a boat that won't idle and stalls when you put it in gear.

This year the problem grew worse, so I decided to check it out myself. I am selling the boat and I didn't want to pass along any issues to any prospective buyer. From my research into similar issues, I checked all the standard stuff, like compression and plugs, all fine. I read that the stator was a common problem an many of these motors, and a logical place to start since it provides power to the ignition system. I was able to find the test specs for my stator on the CDI site. I disconnected the stator wires from the switch boxes, rectifier, and ground. I tested resistance from each wire to the ground wire and found that all readings were about 25% low, except for the low speed (blue) wire, which was 3 thousand times higher than specs (readings of 3 million ohms plus). I guess I got lucky and tested it during a "bad" time.

I changed the stator and now the motor runs perfectly. The test specs on the new stator were bang on the factory specs.

Hope this might help someone.

Happy boating!

If you want to check out my boat....

http://www.boatdealers.ca/usedboats...18v/158030/jcraft-18v-used-boat-for-sale.aspx