Thinking to buy a 2003 Trophy 1903 w/Mercury 125 Salt Water Version

rnorman3

Seaman
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying this package off someone for about $14k. She says there's no hour counter on the boat to check the motor usage. Is there any other way to check the hours? Any advise or other things to check on this particular motor before I buy it?

Thanks!
Richard

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Thinking to buy a 2003 Trophy 1903 w/Mercury 125 Salt Water Version

I would find a surveyoer(SP?) Maybe Two, To check the boat out.

emoney

Commander

The main thing is to pull the cover, do a compression test, pull the drain/fill plug on the lower unit and look at the oil, pop the carb covers off have a look inside the carbs, etc. etc. That motor should still look pretty shiny and new on the inside of the lid and there shouldn't be any milkiness to the LU fluid. As for the boat, not sure what year they became "all fiberglass" but if this one was pre-that, getting a couple of moisture readings would be a good think. If it was built with a wood transom, removing screws for the fish finder or a transom bolt will sometimes allow you to look at the wood itself.

I know this is a center console and mine is a walkaround, but I really like my 1802. I think they're similar hulls, and if so, you should like the way it carries itself on the water. Rides like a much bigger boat, imho. I have a Force 120 on mine and it's a 35mph boat, so you should see better results out of your 125hp. I've heard good things about those Merc's. Not sure of the price, as it seems a little high, but I happen to live in the "Land of the BOats" so that has nothing to do with your market. If you're in a cold-weather state, however, definitely keep in mine you're into the real "buyer's market" at season's end. Like Mi said, either get a surveyor or take someone that really knows boats with you and demand a sea trial, making sure that it lasts at least an hour. "Starting the boat on muffs" is a waste of time, when it comes to confirming the operation of an outboard. GOod luck, keep us posted and don't forget the golden rule; "Pics or it didn't happen"

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Was the boat primarily used in fresh or salt water?

If salt, would the seller be willing to let you replace the exhaust cover gaskets, so you can see if, or how much corrosion has occurred?

rnorman3

Seaman

That's great stuff guys. I don't know how much of this I'll be able to check out, maybe none since I might be buying it from a distance...which leads me to my next post which will be something like are there any "boat buyers and shippers" in the US that I could work with to get this boat up here to CANADA!!! I suspect it'll be mucho dinaros.
Thanks!

Mi duckdown

Commander

I think you are right about the cost, Plus I a have NO knowledge about taxes, bringing something from the US to Canada.
That being said, If I could not see in person and run it, I would not buy it. Egh (sp)

soundsatsunrise

Recruit

Adding to other comments, I'd consider checking the wear on the water pump in the lower unit.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Adding to other comments, I'd consider checking the wear on the water pump in the lower unit.

Please do not resurrect old threads soundsatsunrise. The big red bar that appeared when you clicked on this one should have told 'ya.