*** Hard starting 1990 Mercury 115 HP outboard ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkvette3

Cadet
Hello. My 1990 Mercury 115 HP outboard is very hard to start initially. Just cranks and cranks and cranks. Almost like it has no spark or fuel. Eventually it does start (sometimes). After that there is no problem starting for the rest of the day. A touch of the key and it fires up instantly. The next day after sitting - same hard starting routine. Very frustrating. Any suggestions or advise??? Are these models (year) known for this??? Ignition timing out??? Thanks in advance.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: *** Hard starting 1990 Mercury 115 HP outboard ***

Not familiar with the 1990. But it sounds like a fuel problem. Does it have a circuit that actuates a choke or enricher valve ? If so that is the first place I would look other than making sure that the fuel bulb is doing its job.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: *** Hard starting 1990 Mercury 115 HP outboard ***

Not familiar with the 1990. But it sounds like a fuel problem. Does it have a circuit that actuates a choke or enricher valve ? If so that is the first place I would look other than making sure that the fuel bulb is doing its job.

Yes, that motor has the typical enrichner.

First thing to check: Disconnect output hose from enrichner, pump up primer bulb and have some body push in the key. Does gas squirt out the enrichner? It should.

Status
Not open for further replies.