1984 4HP Mariner Lower Unit Oil Seal Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmk89

Seaman
The lower unit of my 4HP Mariner is leaking oil from the prop shaft. There was fishing line all tangled on around the back of the prop, so I'm pretty sure its the oil seal thats shot. It a 1984 model, that was made it Japan for Mariner, so I apologize if this should be in the Yamaha forum. So far I have the prop off, and the gearhousing cap (part 44 in the picture) off so all the gears are fully accessible. But, I have no idea how to get the oil prop shaft seals off (part 42 in the picture). The oil seals and the bearing are pushed into the gearhousing cap. There are two small holes on the gearhousing cap that have access to these seals, but I do no know their purpose. Do I have to take out the bearing that is pushed into the gearhousing cap? What special tools, if any, do I need? How do the new oil seals go in? There is a blowup of part 42 in the picture, but I do not know what it is trying to illustrate.

Gearcase.jpg

M

Maxz695

Re: 1984 4HP Mariner Lower Unit Oil Seal Removal

Not sure what you are seeing Can the seal be pulled out from the opposite side of the bearing? Or is the housing surr4onding the seal? If so the bearing will have to come out to remove the seal. The hole may be for using a tool to push the seal out after the bearing is removed. Not sure what kind of puller you could use to get the bearing out. I wouldn,t suggest trying to hammer a shaft through the seal side as it may crack the housing

kmk89

Seaman

I picked up one of those clymer manual. It says I need to push out the reverse bearing with an arbor press. I have never used one of these. Has anyone ever done this?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

There is a video (actually 3 videos) on YouTube showing how to remove the prop seals from a big Yamaha using sheet metal screws inserted into the seal and pulling on them with a slide hammer fitted with a Vice Grip attachment. I've tried that technique on my drive shaft seals and it worked perfectly. Looks like it would work on yours.

Kmorales

Recruit
I know this is an old thread but i am stuck in the same boat lol 4hp mariner needs prop seal :( the two holes do look to be for help getting the bearing and seal out ? Any help is appreciated !

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads and feel free to start a new thread for your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.