1968 Mercury 110 9.8hp Wiring

rbrodder

Recruit
I have a 1968 9.8 hp That I am looking for the stop switch assembly and the two ground leads (one brown and one white) that go to the points to kill the motor. I have looked and managed to find part numbers, however they seem to be obsolete. Has anyone ever fabricated these wires themselves? It seems the wires need to be limber to facilitate the stator plate movement and the core strands of the wire seem to be a fine wire strand? I have not found wire locally that is fine stranded?
Thanks.

deftones

Cadet
Re: 1968 Mercury 110 9.8hp Wiring

Hey curious if you ever figure this out? I have same issue, I need to replace wires just need to know what type of wire to use.

Mr. Asa

Seaman

Looking at the parts motor I picked up today, the stop switch doesn't really connect to the stator assembly. The stator assembly wires connect to the power block and so do the stop switch, but they are different wire sets.

I don't see why automotive wiring of 14 gauge or so wouldn't work so long as you waterproof the connections.

deftones

Cadet

Think I'm going to try it! My pink wire is completely rotted out that runs from the power block?( on side of exhaust plate)that runs under flywheel. Havin hard time with where this wire connects. To stator? (,pink,salmon coloured) I hope I can replace it. I needto pull flywheel to see where it goes. I know how to pull it but is there any markings I must do to keep iit aligned when I put it back?
I will also post those pics for you sorry been busy but will as soon as I can. Thanks!

Mercniac

Cadet

Think I'm going to try it! My pink wire is completely rotted out that runs from the power block?( on side of exhaust plate)that runs under flywheel. Havin hard time with where this wire connects. To stator? (,pink,salmon coloured) I hope I can replace it. I needto pull flywheel to see where it goes. I know how to pull it but is there any markings I must do to keep iit aligned when I put it back?
I will also post those pics for you sorry been busy but will as soon as I can. Thanks!

Oldmercs.com has the stop switch assemblies, not sure if it comes with the wires

deftones

Cadet

I can replace the stop switch assembly itself, im just curious about the killswitch wires going to stator. Can i just cut them off if they are rotted right into the stator itself? I guess how these stators work once their rotted through you cant repair them? I can just choke to kill the engine, and could save me from replacing the stator( $200!!) really need these wires?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

At Old Mercs you can buy new wires for the stop/kill button and the ones for the points that go from the block to the points and coils. They are very helpful if given a call and can get you most everything to repair/restore your old Merc. I have done several repairs on the old Mercs and have also found the Max rules web site very helpful also. JMO
Oldman570

deftones

Cadet

Hey thanks alot! Ive ordered from oldmercs before but never found wires assemblies suitable for my outboard( using there model guide).
Ive looked at maxrules aswell but they only have info on 9.8s 1979 and up. no wire diagrams for my 1968.

So your saying the cable i have rotted goes from block to points? This is awesome, I havent been able to pull my flywheel off yet so wasnt sure where it went, was worried into the stator. This is great news!

Just waiting for the rest of my parts and i can put this engine back together, pretty much rebuilt.

On a side note, i got bolts to pull my fly wheel , grabbed 5/16 - 24 bolts and it will not thread in, its the right size bolt so is it a different thread count im assuming, just though they were all 5/16 - 24 for my year of outboard.

Thanks!