Convert Binnacle to a Side Mount Control. Possible?

Korbs67

Seaman
Hi All,
Need to see if this is possible.

I have a binnacle control that came with a used 2001 Optimax I just acquired. I'm mounting to a bass boat and have no use for the Binnacle style. I'd like to avoid the hassle of selling/buying new control is possible.

Question is: Can I somehow rotate the binnacle control internals 45 degress upright so I can simply mount to my side plate?

There's a tiny allen screw that I backed off thinking i could rotate and lock it back down but it didnt do anything.

Thank you for the advice!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Convert Binnacle to a Side Mount Control. Possible?

Hi All,
Need to see if this is possible.

I have a binnacle control that came with a used 2001 Optimax I just acquired. I'm mounting to a bass boat and have no use for the Binnacle style. I'd like to avoid the hassle of selling/buying new control is possible.

Question is: Can I somehow rotate the binnacle control internals 45 degress upright so I can simply mount to my side plate?

There's a tiny allen screw that I backed off thinking i could rotate and lock it back down but it didnt do anything.

Thank you for the advice!

Nope,... I've never seen a binnacle capable of that...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I recently purchased a Quicksilver/Mercury Commander 2000 on the site for about $250 with electrical cable. It's upgraded from previous units. Mounts on the bulkhead and has the fast idle lever easily available, trim switch on the shift/throttle lever T handle, and key and choke (fuel enhancement) on the rear. Very nice. Personally I don't think you'd like the binnacle setup anyway. Once you burn the bucks, all you have to do is kick back and enjoy it rather than fight something that wasn't made for the application.

Mark

Korbs67

Seaman

Thanks for the advice.

I figured out how to to do this:
I simply took the plastic center button cover off, backout the nut (around 5/8"), rotated the handle 45 degrees from neutral and tightened back up the nut. There is a spline inside, maybe 8-10 splines. Also there are thru holes to mount side style so that what I did. It needs a coverplate which I doubt they make. I want to get the motor running prior to sinking any money into controls right now, but Mark, I know the side mount setup would be much better and I suppose if I knew I get swap for even money I would do it.

Also, my shifter cable are about 6' too long so the are coiled up in the back splash area, any way to shorten them? Prob not worth the trouble, like I say I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal or swap while I get motor running.

Thanks All!