Replacing starter solenoid on 1980 40HP Mercury

mksharpe

Cadet
I'm new here. Just got my first boat and motor (very used) a month ago.

The starter solenoid went bad (1980 Mercury Outboard 40HP) and from research online it looks like it had been replaced before with an incorrect model. So I called Mercury and got the correct part number. I ordered the correct one but it looks so different from the one that is on the motor now. I am having trouble figuring out where the wires go. Can anyone help me?

The new solenoid has a "S" and "I" on it but thats near the small terminals. Nothing on the larger terminals.

The pic below shows the old solenoid on the left and the new one on the right. I know where the wires went on the old one, need help translating them to the new one.

Thanks!
photo.jpg

M

Maxz695

Re: Replacing starter solenoid on 1980 40HP Mercury

as pictured the positive batt terminal goes on the left of the picture on the right the starter would go to the big right terminal not sure about the yellow red stripe but it would go to the S. On the picture on the left the positive battery terminal goes on the top terminal the black ground goes to the lower left the yellow I think red stripe wire goed to the lower right terminal. the starter wire goes to the lower big terminal

mksharpe

Cadet

Thanks! I will try that and see what happens. Not sure how a solenoid works, does it even matter if they are reversed?

M

Maxz695

I had a 79 40 HP second picture and thats how mine was hooked up Now I have a 79 70 HP 1st pic and thats how mine is hooked up

mksharpe

Cadet

That configuration worked!! Thanks so much. It would turn over and start for a second but wouldn't idle. I took the carburetor off and cleaned it in chem dip, replaced the gaskets, and put it back on while I was installing the new solenoid. I figured it would take a bit to get it running again, but after 20 cranks I'm getting worried. Also there is a greenish liquid dripping from the carb. Any suggestions on steps to take after putting a carb back on? and also any idea why its dripping fuel out the front of the carb? Many thanks.

M

Maxz695

Needles and seats as well as the float level have to be done

mksharpe

Cadet

Needles and seats as well as the float level have to be done

When I took it apart I didn't mess with the float. It looked ok. I dipped the needles and seats in the chem dip with the rest of the carb. They seemed ok after drying them off. Should I replace them?